Tuesday, August 6, 2019

FOUST sale


I was up early Monday morning (8/5) to get my blog out of the way before picking Paula up at 8 AM to head to FOUST.  I had no intention of going to the sale until I discovered I had NO cream tone-on-tone, and then it became mandatory.  Well – I didn’t take my camera, because I was only going to buy 2 bolts of cream tone-on-tone, and maybe one 108’’ wide backing for QoV’s (if they had it), but I ran into a spectacular deal….they are going to stop carrying a fabric that I love….that I use over and over again…that comes in many great colors….so this is what the back of my car looks like (I took this picture after I got home):  


The stash spreadsheet is TOTALLY screwed....

THEN, on the way home I mentioned that I was feeling a little peckish…and Paula mentioned a new Mexican restaurant she had heard good things about….so I also missed pictures of lunch!  But our lunch was EXCELLENT and we were finally home around 1 PM, after having solved ALL the problems of the world.  I had just enough time to measure out dry ingredients for ice box cake before leaving for my sleep doctor appointment.  I left at 2 PM because my appointment was for 3 PM and Paula and I saw totally backed up traffic the way I would be going.  The doctor was running late and I didn’t get home until 5 PM.  In addition to a few other things, I have a polyp in my nose, have to be on nose spray for 2 months, then need to go back for a CAT scan (oh hooray….said VERY sarcastically).  

I came home to find that my honey had been dealing with a very upset stomach since 4 AM  :~(.  I ran to CVS to pick up some over the counter stuff for him before starting to make an ice box cake.  Debbie & Claude (my college roomie and her hubby ) are coming for a visit starting Tuesday.  When people come for a visit, I generally write to them ahead of time and ask if there is anything they’ve seen in the blog that they would like to try….an ice box cake was one of the things Debbie requested.  Once that was done, I cleaned up the kitchen and settled in for snuggling on the couch with my honey.

An op-ed piece that makes an excellent case for impeachment, containing facts you probably don't know:

(Rep. Barbara Jordan, D-Tex., offers her view on impeachment of President Richard Nixon during a night session of the House Judiciary Committee in Washington Thursday, July 25, 1974.)

I’m from Texas. One of my great political heroes was Barbara Jordan. Representing the sometimes rough Fifth Ward of Houston, Jordan became the first African-American woman elected to the United States Congress from the South. When she spoke, Andrew Young said, it “was like the heavens opened.” One pundit called her “a cross between Lyndon Johnson and Mahatma Gandhi.” It’s hard to imagine, but when I was a law student, Texas had both Molly Ivins and Barbara Jordan. I’m not sure they’re making progress out there.

Forty-five years ago last week, Jordan gave one of the greatest speeches of the twentieth century to the House Watergate Committee. She started, famously: “My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total. I’m not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution.”

Impeachment, she said, arises “from the misconduct of public men, the abuse or violation of the public trust.” Notably, she added “it is a misreading of the Constitution to assert that a vote for an article of impeachment means a member must be convinced the president should be removed from office.” The Constitution, she reminded, “doesn’t say that.”

Impeachment is “an essential check against the encroachment of the Executive.” The Constitution “establishes a division” between the two houses — “assigning to one the right to accuse and the other to judge.” The framers “did not make the accusers and judges the same person.”

Impeachment “is designed to bridle the Executive if he engages in excesses; it is a method of national inquest into the conduct of public men.” The founders “confined the power in the Congress.”

President Nixon, she said, “engaged in a series of public statements and actions designed to thwart lawful investigations by government prosecutors.” He had also “made public assertions bearing on the Watergate case he knew to be false.” These false, impeachable assertions “betrayed the public trust.”

The Constitution, Jordan explained, “charges the President to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, yet the President has counseled his aides to commit perjury.” James Madison made clear a “president is impeachable if he attempts to subvert the Constitution.”

Finally, Rep. Jordan reminded her colleagues: “Pettiness cannot be allowed to stand in the face of such overwhelming problems. So today we are not being petty. We are trying to be big, because the task we have before us is big.” Man.

I doubt Donald Trump has any idea who Barbara Jordan was. If she were alive and in the Congress today, Trump would likely say she ought to go back home to her “infested district.” Like he did to Elijah Cummings, and before, to Ayanna Pressly, Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilan Omar.

And like Trump did, in 2017, to the astonishing John Lewis — the greatest living American. There are some sins God ought not allow to occur. Donald Trump talking about John Lewis is one of them.

Barbara Jordan’s call now sounds in a new century. The duty she names is as clear as it is challenging:

“I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution.” I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.