Thursday, January 31, 2019

letter about QoV, pizza, lemon bundt cake


BRRRRR-R-R…it was 25 degrees when we got up on Wednesday (1/30), way too cold to go golfing so Michael cancelled his reservation.  I got my blog out just before SKYPE-ing with Janice.  Michael came down when we were almost done to show me something in our local CAROLINA GATEWAY paper, which I was THRILLED to read:

Woods letter: Vet recognition by an unknown

 This past Saturday (Jan. 19) I attended a Fort Mill community charity event.
During the event, an auction was held and one of the items for auction was a beautiful Quilt of Valor made for dedication to U.S. veterans. The person who made the quilt was also the auctioneer. She choked up while explaining the importance of the quilt, but maintained enough composure to ask all veterans attending the event to stand for recognition.
About three of us stood and received a grateful recognition from the attendees.
A lady in the front row bid on the quilt and won the bid that was in the three-figures range. Much to my surprise, she presented the quilt to me as I was one of the veterans who stood. The lady did not know me, she only saw me standing when the vets were asked to stand.
After the event closed, the lady and I met. We exchanged names (her name is Liz) and had a short discussion. She thanked me for my service during the Vietnam War and I thanked her for her kindness and generosity.
Liz did not know me, but she knew veterans, as her recently deceased husband was a vet of the Korean War.
I thank her, and all like her, for the recognition of past service of the country’s veterans. Liz may not be a veteran, but she is certainly a U.S. patriot in my eyes.
Thank you, Liz.
Nelson Woods
Indian Land

I am smiling….smiling….smiling…..

I finally had breakfast around 11 AM, and after that Michael switched out my broken machine for my featherweight before leaving for errands:  


Of course Lucy immediately had to check out the featherweight sewing case:  


I headed to my studio after breakfast.  I had a customer quilt to load up, so that was first on the agenda.  


This quilt is a bit unusual as it is just 2 plain pieces of fabric to be quilted together, but whatever…that’s what the customer wants, so that’s what she is getting  :~).  I re-measured the pieces and called her to tell her that her top is 3/4 ‘’ larger than her bottom  :~(.  She said she would just slice off the extra when she gets it back.  I believe she plans to appliqué pennants on top once the quilting is finished.  

I didn’t get the basting finished before it was time to make dinner.  Remember I still had a quarter of the dough left from making bread several nights ago?  Well, it was pizza for dinner…..I haven’t made homemade pizza in FOREVER and it was yummy.  

first the sauce, then the 'line of demarcation'

mushrooms on one side, onions on the other

spinach for Michael

mozzarella & romano

YUMM-O

Michael left for rehearsal and since the oven was hot I made a lemon bundt cake, a new recipe I’ve been wanting to try.  


After that I headed downstairs and got a bunch more sides put on my rainbow squares (YAY for my featherweight) 

2/3 of the way done

before Michael got home before 9 PM.  We relaxed and watched TV a bit before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.