Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Mexican lasagna, French Cooking Fingers, new quilt loaded



Michael left at 8 AM on Monday (7/11) and I got a bit of (quilting) ironing done in the morning before heading to the kitchen to start putting together my Mexican lasagna.  MIchael grilled up a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken thighs for me, so I chopped those into a small dice, and added black beans and an onion to them:

 Then I stirred in a cup of corn and 16 ounces of sour cream:

 I mixed that all up and stuck it back in the fridge.  Finally, I threw a cup of brown rice into my rice cooker so that it would be done by the time I came home from Cooking Fingers.   

We had a wonderful program at cooking fingers....all about French food...even our chefs were French (or at least pretending to be :~):











They made coq au van, a potato/celery root gratin, and a vegetable tart (and they were all excellent):
 
Dessert was a wonderful cherry claufouti:



Even the decorations had a French (blue/white/red) theme:








 


 








 

I stopped at the bank, CVS and the grocery store on the way home, and finally went back to making my lasagna.  I dumped out the cooked rice and mixed it with 3 cups of salsa.  

















Then I started layering it.  Paula knew I wanted some disposible food containers, and she picked some up for me a thte dollar store and dropped them off the other day...they were the perfect size and I put together 4 casseroles; first a warmed tortilla:


 Then the chicken/black bean/corn/etc mixture:



Then a layer of cheese and a second tortilla:

 
Then the rice/salsa mixture:
 

And a final layer of cheese:
 

I got them all labeled (a victory for me!!):

and took 2 over to our neighbors Anne & Bryce and kept 2 for quick meals for Michael and me.  I was done by 2 PM and in my studio for only a short while when Michael came home from golf.  He said he had a good time…but continues to get REALLY tired during the last couple of holes…I’m convinced it is the heat.  Sue and her roomie came over to pick up stuff from the display window and we spent a lively hour discussing things around SCCL  :~).  After that I got a quilt loaded up (the newest hidden wells) 




before heading upstairs to make chicken, tomatoes from Loree's garden, and corn on the cob for our supper.  Michael left for an FMCP board meeting at 6:30 and I headed back downstairs to sew away the evening.  He was home by 9:30 and we watched a bit of TV before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.