Friday, May 27, 2016

Paula's tomato tree, Loree's trendy tote, champagne



Before I launch into Thursday’s (5/26) adventures, I need to tell you about Paula and the tomato plant.  Paula knows I usually put a grape/cherry tomato plant on my deck.  She called a couple of days ago to tell me that Harris Teeter had reduced the price of their plants from $12 to $6.49.  I really didn’t think that was so much of a bargain, because I usually buy one at Lowe’s for $3 - $4.  Anyway, a couple of days later, she called to tell me that she dropped a plant off on my porch because they had been reduced to $2.50.  When I went out to see it…it was a TREE!!!  Almost 3 feet tall!!!  The ones I usually buy are about a foot tall, so I can’t wait to get it transplanted to the deck.


Anyway, I packed up my car for quilting on Thursday morning and headed off.  I knew Michael would be home sometime during the day as they usually get up and have a leisurely breakfast, then head on home.  

Years ago when I was making lots of “trendy totes”, Willa taught a class at Thursday quilting on making fabric covered rope bowls.  Loree bought all of the fabric and rope, but never got around to making a bowl.  She had always admired my knitting bag and wanted one like it.  I was making a lot of totes then and really enjoying it, so I told her I would make one for her…and she gave me all of her supplies.  Well…time went on….and on (as it does) and it’s probably been at least 2 years since I got that bag of supplies.  I finally decided that this year was the year and it seemed the perfect project to undertake while Michael was in Pinehurst.  Here’s how it happened:

 
getting started...I always try to put the darkest color on the bottom


second color added

second stripe of purple

second teal stripe - perfect colors...right?

almost done

adding binding




tada!



surprise...surprise!!



 In case you haven't guessed...this is the secret project....I couldn't put in pictures as I went along since Loree reads the blog! She was thrilled and I was so happy to have it finished! 

I left quilting around 1:30 and my honey was home when I got home.  We sat and talked and talked and talked, and finally hopped in the golf cart to run a few errands (bank & library), then stopped for a 5 minute visit with Jan who was pulling into her garage as we drove past.  We were both hungry when we got home, and wanted to celebrate Michael's homecoming, so it was puffy things (eggrolls), sweet corn and champagne for dinner:



 Both of us were tired and after dinner we just watched TV and went to bed early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.