Sunday, December 11, 2016

rainbow-black done!

We got a late start Saturday (12/10) after staying up Friday night, but eventually I made it to my studio.  I wanted to finish up rainbow-black so that my cutting table was totally cleared off, so that’s what I worked on.  I got all of the binding finished and my label stitched down before Michael left at 1 PM for a matinee performance.  






Then I dropped back to the STEELERS quilt and continued to rip out my basting and weave in bobbin ends.  There were so many stitches in each row that I had to add a new bobbin every row and a half…so there are quite a few to weave in.  I took a break in the late afternoon and started dreaming about what new project I could start.  Janice did a quilt with a jelly roll at retreat that I have been HOT to start.  Since shopping at FOUST, I’ve picked up several (many?) jelly rolls, and have had one sitting on my sewing table for THREE WEEKS at least (along with a bunch of 2-1/2 inch cream squares I will also need)…just waiting to start it.  I’ve been telling myself that I needed to finish a few things first…and rainbow-black was the last of those things, so I was all set to start.  Then I started telling myself that I have a stack of Xerox box lids in my sewing closet that I think contain UFO’s, and that I should look at those first.  So….I decided to be a grownup and do that  :~).  I picked up the top box lid and spent 1-1/2 hours looking through it.  This lid contains some blocks for a Christmas quilt.  This quilt is at least 15 years old….it was one of those “get directions every month in the mail, complete 2 blocks (one pieced and one appliqué) before you receive new instructions in the mail”.  Well, of course I fell off the wagon of getting the blocks done.  I have resurrected it several times over the years….completed a few blocks…then put it away again.  Well, I am hoping that 2017 is finally the year it gets done.  I had previously created a list of all of the blocks which needed to be done, and which ones I had completed.  When I went to look for that list, I couldn’t find it and figured I would have to re-create it.  When I pulled out the book, I was glad to see my organizational skills hadn’t deserted me….the list was taped inside the front cover:  



I confirmed all of the finished blocks, gathered a bunch of Christmas fabric, and I am going to set up a BLOCK OF THE MONTH schedule for myself.  I am really excited about this and had a wonderful time going through everything in the afternoon.  Michael stayed in Rock Hill for dinner (since he only had about a 2 hour window between his matinee and evening performance), so I headed over to have dinner with Jan.  We sat and talked for an hour after dinner before I headed for home.  I had planned to knit a lot further on my sweater, but discovered a mistake and had to rip out 8 rows :~(, so I didn’t even get that all put back in by the time Michael got home at after 10.  

1 comment:

  1. I think I like the "scrap " pattern with the black background better than the white, and the quilting is beautiful. Those kids are blessed! !!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.