Friday, December 2, 2016

Cookie, quilt food, table runner/door hanging finished!

When I came upstairs after running my emails Thursday morning (12/1) Cookie was basking in the sun:

I headed to the kitchen to finish up my food for quilting:




filled with turkey stuff I made last night















Michael packed up the car and I headed out to quilting.  The food was phenomenal:























I took along my finally finished table runner and (as I had hoped) people really liked it :~).  Here’s what it was supposed to look like:  



I really liked this when Chris first showed it, but I don’t have much use for a table runner, so I decided I wanted something for the front door…AND if I was hanging it up, I wanted something 3 dimensional.  I bought ribbon that seemed to go with my fabric….but yesterday when I was trying to make my bow…I didn’t think it went at all.  PLUS, I didn’t like that you could see through the ribbon:



Michael and I talked about it and I said I could try to back the ribbon with some fabric, but first I decided to double the ribbon to make it more solid.  It DID make it look more solid, but then the hanging down ties were too short….plus I didn’t like the 2 blues together at all.  



I asked Michael if he thought it would look nice if I could make a bow out of the fabric I used in the quilted part and he said yes.  So then I started thinking about how I could do that.  I swear that many, many years ago I read about making your own wire edged ribbon with your serger, and at that point I had nothing to lose…..so I dragged out my serger, re-threaded it, set it up with a rolled hem, cut and sewed together 3 strips of fabric and got to work.  It took much longer than I anticipated, but by 6 PM I was finally done…and we both love the way it looks:  


I love the green edging on the "ribbon"


So, that’s what I took to quilting today, and several people asked me about applying the wire…maybe I’ll have to do a demo next year.  I got home around 2 PM and I’m trying to go through the quilt tops on the pool table and get a head start on bindings….to that end, I re-found the purple tulip fabric (thank you BG!!!!) and made a binding for that quilt:



Michael came home from golfing in a rush....had time for a quick shower, then belted down 2 pieces of pizza before leaving for rehearsal. Paula came down around 6 PM and we had cougar-tinis and solved all the problems of the world...that was great!  Michael came home with ice cream at 10...which was great since I never had dinner  :~).

3 comments:

  1. Nice photo of Cookie !!! Reminds me of your painting.
    And nice job on the 'ribbon' for the door hanging !!! Good collaboration between you and M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to make your own ribbon with the serger..it really pops (both dimensionally and visually. And the picture of Cookie is really great with the shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric bow is both genius and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.