Sunday, September 25, 2016

patriotic #2 on its way, rainbow rectangles - black gets better, BBQ chicken roll up for dinner


I didn’t get a very good night’s sleep on Friday night…I’m not sure what part of the day’s food my stomach didn’t like, but it was definitely wonky overnight  :~(.  But, Michael woke me when he left at 7 AM for golf on Saturday (9/24) and I slowly got into my day.  I started quilting on the second patriotic quilt…still LOVING this quilting pattern:







and in the meantime, continued to work on the Rainbow Rectangles – black.  I took a break when my doorbell rang to talk to my neighbor.  This is a lovely and kind woman who is having problems with either Alzheimer’s or dementia.  She believes that her cleaning people have been stealing things from her house for quite some time.  I guess that could be true….but it is more likely that she has moved things, and doesn’t remember where she moved them to.  I remember my mom and my aunt going through this phase.  They were both convinced that people were stealing things from their houses….but who would steal pens/pencils/dentures/lamps?  What makes it worse is that her husband is totally ill equipped or unable to deal with this.  His solution is to tell her that they just have to put up with the stealing and not say anything.  My neighbor is still rational and of course this strikes her as a totally inappropriate thing to do.  She doesn’t feel safe any longer when they come, and wants to change the locks on their house (the cleaning people have keys) and get new cleaning people.  This is such a sad situation and I wish I knew what I could do to help.  I know what it is like to feel helpless…my mom was going through this when she lived many, many miles away from me.  When we moved to South Carolina and we were much closer, I had hoped to have her come and live with us….but she died 2-1/2 months after we moved.  Anyway, I know my neighbor loves sweets, so I gave her a piece of lemon cake and just tried to commiserate with what is going on.  After that visit it was back downstairs until Michael came home from golf with his score of 85….he was very happy with that.  Barbara stopped by to drop off her quilt….the colors are beautiful…wait until you see it loaded up  :~).  But next up is Sandy’s….she got the backing back to me…having added pieces to both the side and the bottom…hope it is big enough now.  I finished up all I was going to do for the day with the rectangles....




I know it doesn't look like much, but this represents hours of work.  The blocks for rows 1 - 4 are all sewn together into rows, and rows 1 & 2 are sewn to each other.  I think I screwed myself up right from the beginning.  There are 6 rows in each repeat, and I thought there were 6 repeats, but there are only 5...that's why I was running out of some colors.  Anyway, I started to think about dinner after that.  I had leftover dough to use up, and some shredded chicken I had thawed from the freezer….so I sauteed a red onion….


then layered the chicken which I mixed with BBQ sauce and then a bit of provolone cheese….















voila….instant dinner  :~), with a heaping side of Loree's green beans: 


I headed back downstairs for 1-1/2 hours after dinner to finish the last 2 rows on the second patriotic quilt…it would have been a much shorter time….but my tablet took 45 minutes to finally boot up after applying a bunch of updates. 


After that, Michael and I snuggled on the couch and watched a few of the new fall shows before bed.

1 comment:

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.