Monday, September 12, 2016

garden flowers, kimono quilt done, new quilt started, anniversary cake


Michael picked fresh flowers for the week on Sunday morning (9/11)


glad our roses & hydrangeas are still blooming!



















before heading out for a walk with Cookie.  I headed downstairs to continue to work on the kimono quilt. 


When he got back from walking, we both had breakfast on the deck…it was lovely but still HOT!!!  After breakfast I headed back down to quilt…and there’s good news/bad news on that…I loaded up the new control box and LCD screen before I started this quilt.  Somehow the automatic thread cutter is permanently set to ON.  I don’t like the thread cutter for 2 reasons….1 – it makes a horribly loud noise when it cuts, but more importantly 2 – it cuts BOTH the needle and bobbin thread too short.  So…after each row I have to remove the bobbin case, pull out the thread and put it back in….annoying!!!  Plus, I’m just so sure that one of these days I’m not going to get the bobbin back in tight and my quilting will go all wonky  :~(.  The good news is…1 - it's not stopping me from getting quilting done...it's just slowing me down and 2 - when I posted something on FACEBOOK about it, desperately hoping that I had set one of the buttons wrong, one of the software people in Utah saw my post.  She questioned exactly what was happening, and had me try a few things.  When none of them corrected the problem, she asked for the serial number of my current control box and said she will ship out new hardware tomorrow morning.  So, I’ll eventually be mailing back TWO control boxes and TWO LCD screens.  Anyway, I was done quilting by NOON (the gold thread was definitely the best choice….gave some interest to the white background, but didn’t take away from the beautiful prints used for the kimonos as it blended right in),




and ran over to Jan’s to pick up some yellow for my newest project before Michael and I headed off to Brewster’s Ice Cream :~).  He was looking for a phone number that he thought had been posted on a defunct store, and since it was right across the street from Brewster’s…and since we still have a 2 year old gift certificate to there….I went along :~).  When we got home I got Sandy’s quilt off of the frame and wove in all of the bobbin ends before loading up the next quilt :~).  After that I dropped back to my newest quilt.  Every once in awhile I get a flyer from American Patchwork and Quilting because they want me to sign up for their magazine.  I’m not going to do that, but they always include a free pattern or 2 in their ad.  I really liked the last pattern they sent, so I went through my stash to see if I could come up with anything.  They did the quilt with 1930's fabric....but OF COURSE I'm not going to do that:



I had everything I wanted except for 1/2 a yard of yellow…hence the trip to Jan’s. 


I’ve been working on my strips for a few days and finally started to cut out rows…..here's my first one....I LOVE it already: 


I worked until 6:30 when we headed over to Ann Mary & Jim’s.  It is their 50th wedding anniversary…and when we got home from Brewster’s, they called and invited us over for dessert (can you say sugar overload?)  They had a yummy sheetcake that had been imprinted with their wedding picture: 


There were 4 other couples there and we had a good time having cake and sitting around talking.  When Michal and I got home, we did just a bit of TV watching before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.