Friday, June 26, 2015

Paula, Kathy, Mary, lunch at CPCC, Elsie & Cookie, Michael & flowers a duex



Michael took the dog for a walk first thing Thursday morning (6/25), while I got a bunch of paperwork done.  I’ve been mostly working on an article I’ve been asked to write about the Volunteer Club, for our monthly LIVING magazine.   But….I think I finally finished it….I sent it out to the board for review before I forward on to the magazine.  Paula 

picked me up just after 10 AM and after we picked up 2 other ladies,
Kathy

Mary

























we headed into Charlotte.  We went to the CPCC (Central Piedmont Community College) Greenway Restaurant for lunch…and although I knew that’s what we were doing…I really didn’t think about it until we were there.  But WHAT a flood of memories it brought back to me.  This three-course lunch was prepared and served by culinary arts students as part of their classroom experience….40 years ago, that was me!!  As a senior at IUP for one day you were in charge of the food service in our building.  You set the menu and assigned all of the tasks to the other students.  I must admit however, that the food today was FAR superior to what we were doing so long ago.  The food today was something you would find in a very fine dining establishment indeed.  Breads were served with honey butter (they have their own hives for the honey), pimento cheese and jam (made by the students).  She crab soup (with lots and lots of shredded crab) was the first course.  I had shrimp & grits with andouille sausage and a red eye gravy reduction sauce.   

 Others had crab cakes and short ribs.  Another selection was beef wellington and it looked FABULOUS!!!!    

Dessert was a vanilla, Bavarian cake (with an eatable gold flake garnish).




 All this for a mere $13.00.  Needless to say, we all needed to be rolled to the car after lunch.  I was home by 2 PM and did a bit more paperwork before getting back to quilting….where I had some unusual company for a summer day:  
usually they're only together in the winter

Around dinner (which I never did eat….still full from lunch), Michael and I went out to the backyard to photograph our (on steroids) 12 feet tall sunflower 
 
which sprang up on its own from last year's seed

and 9 feet tall dahlias.   




By 7 PM I was done quilting Shirley’s quilt.  I called her to confirm that she wanted me to finish it and then started to take it off the frame, while continuing to do the animal embroideries.

PS - the ONLY reason I have pictures of the luncheon (despite taking my camera to remember to TAKE pictures) was because Paula reminded me.....I am the WORST at remembering!  Thanks Paula!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.