Saturday, June 6, 2015

Iris & Connie, Book about Jimmy for Sally



Michael got an unexpected invitation to play golf on Friday (6/5) and he left around 9 AM.  By then I had already put together roll dough and gone to the grocery store and back for my ladies coming to lunch today.  By 10 AM I had put together a broccoli and scallion quiche and kneaded rosemary into half of my roll dough and was headed for my studio.  I got to sew for an hour (on my tumbling blocks), before heading back upstairs to turn on the oven, set the table and get ready for my guests.  Connie & Iris arrived just after NOON 











and we settled down to talk.  You may remember that over a year ago, our good friend Jimmy died of a brain tumor.  During his illness I acted as a disseminator of any information Sally wanted to send out to the group of caring friends keeping track of Jimmy’s progress.  After he died I wrote to people to ask them to send me stories of their interactions with Jimmy.  I’ve had those stories for quite awhile, but didn’t have a good “vehicle’ to get them to Sally.  I didn’t just want to print them out, staple them together and hand them to her. So, over the year and a half that Jimmy has been gone, I’ve had and discarded several ideas.  I finally read about something I thought I might be able to do with Connie’s help (Connie being a scrapbooker).  When I asked her about it, she indicated that she had given all of her supplies to Iris and that she was sure Iris would be willing to make what I had in mind.  A couple of months ago the 3 of us got together and I told Iris what I was looking for, and gave her a bunch of materials.  When they came yesterday, Iris brought the finished product…a converted children’s board book, filled with stories and pictures and golfing decorations.  I thought it was perfect.  























 We went all through the book, then had lunch (the quiche & rolls) and continued talking until almost 3 when they left.  



Connie told us all about her years living in Morocco, and said that if she could, she would still be there!  I cleaned up just a bit after they left, then sat down to call Cathy (who had called during lunch).  We had a nice long chat and I am really looking forward to her visit in 2 weeks.  By then Michael was home and we sat and talked for about an hour before calling Sally to ask if we could stop by for 10 minutes (we just wanted to drop off the book).  Sally was having a couple friends over for dinner, so she invited us as well and we ended up staying until around 7 PM.  We came home and read for a couple of hours, then watched TV for a bit before bed, and I got more of my butterflies sewn onto my quilt.  When I was at quilting a week ago, Penny asked me how the butterfly sewing was going and I made a grimace and indicated that it would NEVER be done.  She told me I should shoot for sewing on just ONE per day…and that is certainly much better than the NONE I have sewn on in the past 2 weeks….so I’m trying to do that.

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful gift ! I'm sure she'll treasure it.... (mj in ct)

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.