Thursday, August 24, 2017

Talking to the Sun City Quilt Group

OK – I have 3 updates on previous stories….first the gator story….new email with the subject line: Gator Caught!!

“Well folks, the “gator” has been caught! Kudos to Summit Landscape Group’s branch manager, Douglas, for wrangling this creature. The alligator was not aliveIt turned out to be a decoy that now resides in the back of Douglas' truck.

We are sincerely sorry for any distress the earlier message may have caused!  It is once again safe to walk the streets of SCCL.
There is a reward for any information leading to the identification of the person(s) who put the gator in the lake. If you have valid information, please contact ana.smith directly and confidentially.’’
So…there you have it folks…we here at SCCL are still safe  :~).

My next story concerns my friend Susie (of the recent pancake try-out).  Susie bakes a pie a week….yep…one a week!!!  And she is just a tiny little thing…I don’t know how she does it.  Anyway, we were talking about peach pies as she had some peaches she wanted to use up. I told her how my old boss’s birthday was in September and I used to get up early in the morning to bake 2 peach cream pies for his birthday and take them in on the bus (of course they were still warm) and drive everyone crazy with the smell.  I told her how good the pie was and she decided to come over and get the recipe.  I couldn’t wait to hear how she liked it…and I didn’t have to, this was on the outside of my cookbook:    



I really love it when someone else likes the same things I do  :~). 

And third, if you want to see some GREAT pictures of the eclipse taken by my fellow long armer in the mountains, check this out: https://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/an-awesome-day/.

**************

Michael left super early to get to WALMART, the chiro and BJ’s so that he could be home by 12:30 to help with this: 




Mary Jo and I spent part of the morning at the farmer’s market buying lots of goodies and then pulling all of those quilts together and part of it actually QUILTING!!!!  WITH NO PROBLEMS!!!!  YAYAYAYAY!!!  














Then it was a quick lunch (with a new friend): 


before heading off to the Lake House with 6 other wonderful ladies who stopped by to pick up bags of quilts to lug them down to the meeting room.  I spoke to the Sun City quilt group for 1-1/2 hours….only 15 minutes probably on long arming itself (with pictures of how it all comes together, along with a few problems encountered), and the rest of the time showing and talking about my 25 – 30 quilts.  



ladies - check out my machine did binding

what a nightmare this must have been for my long arm-er

blah, blah, blah

and still more blah, blah, blah

first quilt entitled "I've come a long way baby'!!




same pattern, same colors, white vs black background


a gift to Mary Jo on her 50th birthday...she made room in luggage to bring with her

boring quilt?  Add embroidered butterflies

disappearing 9 patch

what is she blabbing about now???














Jan came to the presentation, and left with the quilt for her grandaughter


a wall hanging

I thought it went really well; I got lots of positive comments at the end, and the secretary sent out the minutes late last night and she was very gracious in her praise:

‘Today we were honored to have Sun City resident, Deb Devo, speak to us about her long arm quilting experience. She also gave us some practical advice on how to prepare our quilts for the person who will quilt them. Deb opened up her treasure chest to show us her huge amount of beautiful quilts she has made. Some she made for her family and many were made for veterans, children of local schools and for Beds Equals Dreams, an outreach program of Harrison UM Church. With humor and candor we were impressed by her knowledge of her art and talent. ‘


I was TOTALLY pooped when we got home, so I made something cold to drink, turned on the fan and read with my feet propped up on a stool in the living room.  Michael was watching TV and Mary Jo headed downstairs for a bit of peace and quiet herself!  Mary Jo had a ‘mater sammich for dinner and I had leftovers before we headed downstairs to continue quilting.  We both headed to bed around 10 PM.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there. ..I don't remember the first 2 quilts you showed AT ALL. You can relax now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great talk! Thanks for the mention on the Solar Eclipse pics.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.