Tuesday, January 3, 2017

quilt #150 done!!! yoghurt tutorial

Michael headed out to run errands Monday morning (1/2) while I stayed home to work on the binding of my quilt, but not before I did 15 minutes of decluttering, ending up with 3 boxes of stuff to donate….YAY!  I headed to my studio after that, excited to layout all of my new blocks.  I got one row done and stopped:  



Can those of you who think you really know me figure out why this isn’t going to work for me?  OK, don’t cheat....don't rush ahead…really look at the picture and try to figure it out before you read further.  Did you get it?  

Look at the cream snowball corners and what they are doing.  Right now they form a little mountain, except for the last one on the right, which is just hanging out into space.  My layout was supposed to be 9 blocks by 8 blocks.  But the 9 blocks will give me that extra-going-no-where triangle and that will bug me to no end.  So….I will have to drop back and find more strips to do 8 more blocks….sigh….sometimes it’s not fun having a bit of OCD.  

Oh well, it gave me all day to work on quilt #150….and it is all complete  :~).  Here is it in pictures:  

backing...beautiful in and of itself!

loaded

basted..see how the color looks totally different from the last picture???

quilting finished

adding binding

a close up

ta da!

I wish you all could see it in person...the colors are so much more vibrant and I love this layout of log cabin blocks.  I started these blocks many years ago, then in 2015 on the way to retreat I found fabric to finish off the quilt top.  It was finished a couple of months ago, and now will rest on the back of my chair in the living room…I absolutely LOVE it!  

In the afternoon I started yoghurt for Michael, and I promised a tutorial so that you could see how easy and quick (counting just time working) it is.  First, pour 1/2 gallon of milk into a 4 quart crockpot:
















Then sprinkle with one package of gelatin (only because Michael likes his yoghurt a little thicker…more like the stuff you buy at the store):  



Let it sit for a minute before whisking it in:  

















Cover with lid, turn on low, set timer for 2-1/2 hours.  Elapsed work time: 5 minutes.  After 2-1/2 hours, I turned off the crockpot, and set the timer for another 2-1/2 hours….estimated work time: 5 seconds!  After that, check the temperature.  As long as it is between 113 degrees and 115 degrees, whisk in yoghurt crystals: 


and cover the crockpot with a blanket to sit overnight. 


Estimated time: 2 minutes.  The next morning you have yoghurt, and you’ve spent under 10 minutes making it.  Now, I do spend probably 15 more minutes making it into grab-and-go cups for my honey...I'll have those pictures tomorrow.


We had Chinese for dinner and watched TV while I knit for the rest of the evening.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on quilt 150 !!! I agree - GORGEOUS backing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Your log cabin is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. 2) Your layout of new quilt isn't flawed. You've only laid out a row of half blocks. Recommend sewing 4 units together into a full block first, Problem will be solved.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.