Saturday, January 7, 2017

coffe cake, cream, soap, Cookie & Elsie, puffy things

I have been promising Michael his favorite coffee cake for a week, and finally got it into the oven Friday (1/5) morning:  


He left after eating it for a run to BJ’s, and to Ethyl’s to pick up a quilt (I was glad to hear from her…haven’t heard from her in a year and thought she might have given up quilting…but at 93 years of age she is still going strong!  Michael took a big piece of coffee cake to Ethyl….I figured living alone she might not make it much because it’s too much for one person to eat.)  He also stopped at CVS to pick up prescriptions and Food Lion to look for barley (no luck there).  Janice called me a couple of days ago to tell me a pound of barley is 75 cents at STOP & SHOP until the end of January!!!!  She’s buying me 8 bags, which I hope to pick up at the end of February when I visit….but I need a barley fix before then.   I am still just so surprised that barley is not something they cook with in the south.  Guess the substitution down here is grits….but I’m not sure how that will work in all of my recipes….so I’m going to continue to ship barley in from Connecticut  :~).  Pat swung by to pick up a bunch of my LUSCIOUS LOTION.  Apparently she was at a party and the ladies started talking/complaining about their skin problems and Pat said hers were better since she started using my cream….so 5 of them wanted some!  I didn’t have enough made up, so I made up a run of that: 



and Pat swung by to pick it up, have some coffee cake and donate a GORGEOUS bag to the FMCP auction at the end of the month:  


After that I decided I should cut my soap since the car was out, which makes it easy to get to my soap table.  I got it cut and left it curing on my rack:


 After a long talk with Jan I finally made it to my studio after 1PM.  First up?  The binding on the retreat hidden wells.  This turned out to be a NIGHTMARE!!  For some reason, the thread kept coming out of the tension hole in my bobbin, necessitating much ripping and well over a dozen sets of ends to weave in at the end….but finally it was done (thank goodness!).  When I came upstairs to help Michael bring in our groceries, Elsie was once again snuggled up to Cookie’s warmth:  





I cannot believe how often this has become such a “thing” in the recent past…but I am loving it.  Maybe it's because my baby Elsie will be 14 years old this year....and (as older people get) she's always cold?  Anyway, by the time I finished my binding, it was time for dinner.  Michael and I had put an extra bottle of Asti in the fridge for New Year’s Eve…but then no one ended up drinking it….so we decided to make it a date night and you know what that means????  Champagne 

with frozen blueberries/blackberries/raspberries to keep it chilled

and puffy things….YAY!!!  We had yummy scallops wrapped in bacon…



little mini-crab cakes…..


and (my favorite and I think Michael's too) chicken egg rolls:


Everything was scrumptious and I knit and we watched TV the rest of the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.