Thursday, January 11, 2018

Quilts of Valor abound!

Michael took Cookie for a walk Wednesday morning (1/10) while I SKYPE-ed with Janice from 9 – 10:30.  I didn’t manage to get my blog out before then, so after a quick breakfast I spent about 40 minutes on that.  I then set up my quilting program and got my bobbins wound and kicked off my first row of quilting.  Thank goodness I still look at each and every first row on my quilts (and my stitching after a bobbin change), because even though I had only stitched out about 6% of the row…it took me an hour to rip it all out….the tension was totally wonky :~(.  By then I had to just shut everything down and run off to the Lake House.  Pat and I were thinking about joining the Sun City Quilting group, so we went to the kick off meeting for this year.  By the end of the meeting we both agreed we would like to get to know all of those ladies better, but we’re not into the commitment this group entails at the moment.  So, we’re going to have to go on to Plan “B” to figure out how to spend more time together.  I was home before 3:30, and Michael was out running errands until 5 PM…but he brought home KFC potpies for us and for Jan.  Michael left for rehearsal at 6 PM and Jan left shortly afterwards.  I finally headed back downstairs to see if I could get my long arm to sew any better….I re-threaded and changed out my bobbin and fired it up….and the answer to that was NO!  I re-ripped out my stitching and shut everything down until I figure out plan “C”.  Michael was home by 9:30 and we talked and watched a bit of TV before bed.

Today’s pictures are all about Quilts of Valor and veterans.  Paula got to give out her second QoV to a grateful nephew:  


She has already figured out what quilts she will be working on next…WHOO HOO…another one joins the fold  :~).  

And 2 more of my quilts were given to veterans in the Indian Land VFW:





















Last night at the monthly Honor Guard meeting two quilts were handed out to two very worthy recipients. 18 HG members braved the very cold weather to witness this presentation. Rock Hill HG CPT Lloyd Comer and HG Chaplain Jim Luchs were presented quilts (affectionately made by Deb Devo of Indian Land) by Indian Land HG CPT Pete Sturtevant. Lloyd Comer earned a Purple Heart in the Vietnam War while also being listed as an MIA in the Cambodia invasion. He was with the 82nd Airborne division and also the 25th Infantry Division.  Jim Luchs is a retired Major and also served as a chaplain in the U.S.Navy. Being a career man, Jim served all over the world, but his combat experience was in Korea. Jim can also speak fluent German. Jim is well over 80 now and participates in many of the funerals for our deceased comrades.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a wonderful way to honor the service and dedication of these men for their service. I am sure they were thrilled to be recognized and these quilts will remind them daily of how their service was appreciated by so many. Thanks for all you do for QofV and Veterans.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.