Friday, November 1, 2019

towels, Linda's quilts, SHQ Show & Tell, first day in Ithaca

I couldn’t sleep in on Wednesday morning (10/30), so even though it was pitch black outside, I headed downstairs at 6 AM to get my blog out and start embroidering on some golf towels.  



Michael headed out for the first of EIGHT new golf lessons!!  When he came home he was so happy, he has already learned lots and has 4 different drills to practice.  

I had a nice long talk with Janice in the morning, and then just worked on embroidering towels.  I agreed to embroider towels for a fellow quilter….she said her friend needed them by Christmas.  Then she sent me an email Monday night saying the friend suddenly said ‘I’ll have those towels for my board meeting on Thursday….right’?  YIKES!!!!  I got 5 of them done: 




before heading out to a fellow longarmer's house.  

Linda H lives in WAXHAW (a nearby town) in a beautiful quilt filled home with a perfect area for a studio!  She must sew/quilt even more than I do, as since August 1st, she is trying to do 100 quilts for a charity called KATIE’S KIDS.  (She's has already delivered 40 some quilts).  




I took 13 quilts/throws: 




I totally do not remember when I did this one!!


this is from one of my neighbor's Aunt Grace

I did this at retreat a couple of years ago






June did this one

to help out.  Some of my quilts were quite large, so if the hospital doesn't want them, they will go to the dialysis center.

She loaded up a quilt on her APQS longarm (and I learned some new things I can’t wait to put into practice):


and we talked and talked and talked.  I just took pictures of 3 quilts she has in her studio:






I got home in time to shove a few pieces of cheese in my mouth before Paula picked me up to head up to the Lodge to meet the new Board candidates.  What an interesting meeting….there is a (hopefully) small, vocal disgruntled group, who without ever helping or volunteering on any committees or task forces seem to think that they will run things better than the current board.  It was interesting to see that one of their candidates NEVER ACTUALLY ANSWERED any question put to him!  I definitely think I have a pretty good idea of who I’m voting for already (so if you live here and you are interested in my insights, just let me know).  

Anyway, I was home after 8 PM, and had a small serving of ice cream while watching TV with my honey.  WHEW…it was certainly a full day!

****************************
I headed out just after 9 AM on Thursday (10/31) to pick up Paula and head out to quilting.  I had a wonderful time at quilting, especially as Loree & Susie did their best to settle my fears about upcoming polyp surgery.  We had terrific show and tell:  


this was stunning...and only used 18 strips from a jelly roll

June with another picture piecing

June being CRAZY with teeny tiny pieces!



Floy, again being so adorable

Of course I loved the sheep!

Cheryle with her first place in the paint chip challenge




Carolina finished her casserole carrier from the class taught that morning!

and when Paula and I got home after 2 PM, we sat in her driveway and talked for a long time…it was great!  

Michael and I talked for a bit when I got home before he left for the driving range and I headed to my studio to start basting a customer quilt:  



I got that done and after a quick dinner, set up the program and got some bobbins wound.  By then it was 8 PM and I was beat.  I headed upstairs to snuggle in with my honey and watch some TV and finally weave in ends for dog/cat beds:



Another of my Quilts of Valor has been given out to John A. Vigilanti, US Army, who served from 1954-1957:  

that's Jim N, my neighbor, presenting the quilt




I am still thrilled to be making these quilts and honoring our service people!


M & D in NY (Michael and Deb in upstate NY)

Michael got many curious looks carrying "Amelia" through the airports:





We checked into our hotel...which had a lovely feature right in our room:

Mary Jo...just like Paducah....remember?

before heading to the The Commons to meet AJ (who was Halloweening there):






When we finally went back to the house, we "introduced" AJ to her new friend, and she was totally enamoured:



We headed out to dinner:







before going back to the house to finally say good-night!



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful final fountain, June! I remember us slaving over that trying for the 3D effect that you have NAILED!

    What great pics from NY...if only they remembered us AFTER we left!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.