Monday, August 6, 2018

Sunday breakfast, VOTE!, Canada - Day 2

Michael had waffles for breakfast several times on vacation, but he always says they never compare to mine, so Sunday morning (8/5) we decided to have a big fry up (as they say in our favorite show AS TIME GOES BY).  I made my overnight waffle batter Saturday night right before bed, and he made bacon and his yummy signature fried potatoes:








We had company for breakfast:  


Jan

Anne




and Anne, Jan and I sat and talked and talked while my sweetie cleaned up the kitchen.  I finally made it to my studio around 12:30 and got bobbins wound and kicked off the quilting on the Hunter’s Star (there was so much going on in this quilt that I just picked a simple stipple, but I am using varieagated rainbow thread):   















My Ethel baby was with me the entire time:




















I worked until 4 PM when Paula called me and we headed out to pick up flyers for the Volunteer Club and distribute them.  We only got one pod done before the rain started, so we headed back home and I went back to quilting.  While I was quilting I got a few HST’s done for the newest baby quilt.  I know I don’t have many, but please look at the pictures and vote for your favorite layout:


"A"

"B"

"C"

Michael and I had a late dinner of leftover pizza and watched TV together for just a bit while I trimmed more HST’s. 

 One of the blogs I read regularly is http://joythebaker.com, and she always has a thoughtful Sunday reflections entry.  I read this article with wonder: https://qz.com/1345631/why-lebron-james-is-opening-a-school-for-at-risk-kids/, and wondered why the current occupant of the White House feels the need to weigh in on this individual (at all) who apparently succeeded despite a very tough start.  I think maybe Lebron should be applauded for his efforts and where he is it putting his money, instead of being insulted and degraded.  What a sad commentary for the holder of the highest office in the land, who seems to think that big commercial buildings with his name on them are the only way to go.


Canada

Day 2 – Our day started with a visit to the Bill Reed Gallery (https://spiritsofthewestcoast.com/collections/bill-reid).  

The Raven and the First Men is a carving that depicts the story of human creation according to Haida legend.


Reid's bronze masterpiece, Mythic Messangers:



A full-scale totem pole carved by James Hart of Haida Gwaii, featuring the Wasgo, or Haida Sea-Wolf:


















Bill Reid also worked in precious stones and metal to create unique and beautiful jewelry.  This piece was worn by Pincess Diana on a visit to Canada:



There was a poster talking about Bill Reid at the museum and he had a quote that definitely struck a chord with me:  


Joy is a well-made object, equaled only by the joy of making it. (Bill Reid, 1998).  

That TOTALLY resonates we me about making and giving away my quilts.

You may not realize that I consider Canada a much more progressive country than we are in many, many ways....and a plaque/quote in the museum to me totally bears that out: 

We respectfully acknowledge the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh and all the indigenous people of the Northwest Coast, on whose traditional and unceded territories we live, work and play.  (emphasis mine)


After that we stopped at Stanley park  (https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/stanley-park.aspx) on the way to Granville Island….where Michael had to go thousands of miles away from home to find pierogis that he loved  :~).  Then we took a float plane to Victoria; interestingly enough our house sitter told us that she was definitely excited by that as she has her private pilot’s license!!!   The things you don’t know about people…..cool.

7 comments:

  1. I like the first and third quilt options. Don’t know what I don’t like about the middle one as it is pretty similar to the first one, but something….

    Inez

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote is C! Hope someone else votes to break the tie between A and B!
    AM143πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸΎπŸΎ

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote is C. Hope someone else votes to break the tie between A and B!
    AM143

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now I need your overnight waffle recipe!! I like both A and C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to be a minority so far, but I vote for B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh Oh - I vote for C for it's simplicity!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.