Thursday, July 19, 2018

Janice & Dennis, kitty videos


TODAY”S THE DAY!!!!  JANICE & DENNIS ARE COMING TODAY!!!!!

Michael was up before 6 AM on Wednesday (7/18) and was out of the house before 7 AM for the red/white/blue golf tournament here at SCCL.  I was up before 7 AM with lots to do.  I put fresh sheets on the guest room bed and fresh towels in the bathroom, after giving it a quick clean.  I also had flowers for the guest room that Michael picked:  


As well as 2 new beautiful roses for our breakfast table:


After that I settled down to working on the Quilt of Valor, while watching SHETLAND.  Do you know about SHETLAND?  It’s another British/PBS show which I had never seen.  I tried to record the current season (which I believe is season 4), but only got the last 1 or 2.  I didn’t know whether or not I needed to watch the previous seasons to understand what was going on, so I went looking for it and I found it on NETFLIX and am working my way through it.  It is a GREAT show (of the murder mystery type like MID-SOMER MURDERS, but I like it MUCH better), but it really makes me want to go and visit Scotland  :~).  And it makes me very jealous of my friend Inez, who has a son-in-law from Scotland…so she gets to hear that totally sexy accent way more than you or me  :~).  

Michael got home from his tournament after 1 PM….he thought he and Phil did ok, but he didn’t find out until the awards ceremony at dinnertime (they didn’t win anything).  He had a quick shower and headed out for a haircut while I continued sewing/quilting.  By the time Janice & Dennis arrived around 6 PM:  















the Quilt of Valor was done: 



and I had made more progress on sewing the Hunter’s Star quilt into rows:  





The rest of the evening was spent having dinner and talking, talking, talking!!  Janice & Dennis were in Ocean Isle to finalize decisions on the house they are building.  They had so many design choices that it really is like a custom home….I can’t wait to see it in person (sometime next year).  We all finally went to bed around 10:30.

You know, on the way home from the movies the other night, Michael and I had a very interesting conversation kind of about politics in America today.  I’m not sure I can put it into words, but I want to try.  I think it all comes down to how you want your country to be seen, and how you as an American want to be known.  A friend started to rant to me weeks ago about how well Trump is doing because the trade agreements we had previously signed were not ‘fair’ to America.  Apparently he felt they gave much more to other countries than to us.  I guess I see being an American as having been given much right from the get go, and having been able to gain much due to our governing and that yes…we do not need to be the richest and keep the riches of them all, but can share our good fortune and continue to be somewhat altruistic   (unselfishly concerned for or devoted to the welfare of others (opposed to egoistic – like most of our politicians)).  This is how I would like to see my country behave and how I would like to feel as an American.  (If you ever get a chance to see GUNS, GERMS and STEEL, please watch it.  The book is way too boring and dry, but the movie explained many, many things I have wondered about over the years, about why and how blessed the physical state of the United States has been).  It seemed to me that my friend was 100% behind America getting everything it could.  And there seems to be a lot of feeling that it is OK that hate/dislike is the name of the game for people who are ‘not us’, and that they are wrong in what they do and don’t deserve the same rights and courtesies that are afforded people that ‘are us’ (however you personally define ‘us’).  I know I strongly disagree with that; once you start curtailing one group’s rights, it’s a very slippery slope to all sorts of people being disenfranchised.  That’s a very basic philosophical difference that I don’t think can ever be resolved. 


You know, I have had many, many people sound totally incredulous on such a simple subject as the quilts I give away.  They look at them and say ‘You’re just GIVING them away???  Do you know the kind of people they are going to???  Do you really think they will take care of them???  You don’t want to try to sell them???’  I don’t need to sell them, and I think they go to such worthy causes (and people) that it gives me a lot of pleasure to be able to bring joy and color into someone’s life, who may not have much.  I know my mother felt the same way, and tried to instill that in me.  Between that conversation with Michael, and a conversation about race with the nurse who took my blood on Tuesday, about people who still don’t believe or understand ‘white privilege’, 


I have lost some hope.  People think we’ve come a long way, and maybe we have, but what they don’t understand is that we still have a long way to go.  Try opening your mind and reading SMALL GREAT THINGS by Jodi Picoult.   Or NECESSARY LIES by Diane Chamberlain.  Both books are fiction, but based on fact.  The fact that some people feel they have the right to act a certain way or make decisions for entire groups of people not like them.   At this time I do not think my views and life philosophy are in line with the current politicians in power (who seem to be all about more-more-more for me and those that are like me), and that saddens me a great deal.  It feels like altruism is not a thing to be valued any more. 

And I do have more doses of cute today, three kitty videos.  First up, they race around the basement every morning while I am getting my blog out:


So, when Paula was here previously, she asked if the kitties could still fit in the circle cut out of one of their scratching posts.  I didn’t think they still could, so I opened the back of it and they were interested…they each tried to climb in a various times….see one of them in the videos:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.