Saturday, October 26, 2013

soup making, leaf drawing, xmas pillow cases, soup & bread

We got to sleep in a bit on Friday (10/25) after a mid-night bedtime on Thursday night and by the time I IM’ed with BG and got 2 days worth of a blog entries done, it was 10 AM.  I headed back upstairs to chop everything up for the Elephant Chicken Soup I will be making for dinner (if I wait until 3 PM I never feel like doing it J), and to mix up rolls to go with the soup.

 
an action shot, just getting ready to smash my garlic

you can see my bag of veggie trimmings that I keep in the
freezer until I have 3 or 4, then I make veggie stock.  and the
bowl of already chopped onions & celery


 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Many of you may know that I started making soap about 10 years ago.  At that time, I lived in Connecticut and BG and I drove to an oil distribution center in Massachusetts to pick up 150 pounds of palm kernel, olive, coconut and castor oil to make soap.  (Yes, that’s how real soap is made, with some kind or kinds of oil/fat and lye.  Most (all?) commercial soaps today are not made that way, instead they are some sort of detergent formula).  Anyway, I have finally exhausted most of my supply of oils (and soap) and it is time to make more.  I have tried to find oil near me to no avail, and having oil shipped to you is prohibitively expensive due to the weight.  BG and I were talking one day and she was trying to find me some oil (because when she came for a visit, she remembered how much she likes my soap (I have a bar in the guest room shower) and I told her if she found me oil at a good price, I would make her some J), and she said ‘too bad you don’t have a way to get oil from CT to SC because I would definitely drive back to MA and pick it up for you’.  On a whim I wrote to 2 ladies that I know go to CT a lot and said ‘is there any chance you ever drive when you go to CT, and if yes, would you ever have room to bring back several large packages, and if yes, would you be willing’?  Carol immediately wrote back to tell me that she would be in CT on October 24th and would be happy to bring stuff back for me…SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!  So, BG drove to MA last Friday and picked it all up, and BG and Carol are meeting today for the trade off.  Anyway, palm kernel oil is hard as a rock at room temperature (I still have a lot of that), and I want to make soap as soon as I get the other oils, so the whole time I was downstairs, Michael had the fire on, with the large plastic container of palm kernel oil sitting in front of it.  When I went upstairs, I measured out 4 portions of that oil (that took almost 1/2 an hour…it was still that hard) so that I can hit the ground running when Carol delivers everything else.  By the time that was done (and the soup fixin’s and the roll dough), it was 12:30 and I was STARVING, having never had breakfast OR lunch (except for my habitual morning tea).  I stopped and made a couple of diet pizzas (an old, old Weight Watchers recipe that I still love), then headed downstairs to work on an art project with Michael.  This is the first time we are trying something new and I can’t wait to debut it in the future if it works out….it involves leaves…and I just love leaves  J.  This pen and ink drawing, that Michael completed years ago, remains one of my favorite pieces of art in our house:




I finally got to hit my sewing machine around 1:30 and polished off 2 Christmas pillow cases for Jan to give as gifts to her grandkids:

  


 
She bought the fabric about a week ago, and since my serger was already set up, it was easy to run them up for her.  At 3:30 I headed upstairs to actually make the soup (and bake the rolls) and Michael and I watched a bit of TV while eating:



 
 
 
 
 

 

 

and he headed off to OPENING NIGHT of ARSENIC & OLD LACE at 6 PM.  Jan and Walt swung by on their way home from a volleyball game to take home a quart of soup.  I have 2 other quarts frozen for woodworker Bob and Donna & Lee and we still have a quart left for dinner on Saturday.  I’m hoping to visit Becky next week (she had surgery on her feet) and take the last quart to her.  It’s a good thing I doubled the recipe we got dinner out of it, and then 5 additional quarts J.  I knit for the rest of the evening and am about 1/2 way through my first baby sweater.  Michael didn’t get home until mid-night, and we didn’t make it to bed until 1 AM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.