Friday, December 13, 2019

SHQ Christmas Party, LLB dinner, secret project revealed!


I got everything packed up and Michael carried my blue IKEA bag out to 
Paula’s car Thursday morning (12/12).  It was our Christmas party at 
Scrap Happy 


and everything was great.  

The food was (as always) wonderful:  











We played ‘dirty Santa’ and had lots of fun stealing gifts (I made embroidered cards for my gift): 



there was a silly hat contest: 

June & Floy

Jerri - she won!

Dolly

Marge

Mary

Mary Ann

Joan

check out those ears on Loree

Paula

and many people brought Christmas quilts to share:  















I think there was an audible gasp when I unveiled the secret project, which was a gift for my honey (the long story is below).  

I was home just after NOON and ran down to Joanne & Larry’s to get the molding cut so that Michael could hang my dragonflies in the bedroom:  



My decades old stained glass tulips are getting replaced (and going to a close friend's house):  


After that I settled in to working on the rest of my 24 blocks for the boy's quilts and sewing together the first quilt I put up on the wall.  

I kid you not, I was just getting ready to sew it together when I decided to check out my emails….I got one from my friend Leila, telling me the layout of my quilt had a mistake.  I turned around to the wall and looked and looked at it, but saw nothing wrong.  So, I gave her a call to find out which quilt….and she said yes…the one on the wall…and when I called up the PICTURE….I immediately saw my mistake!  



Why is it that I can see it on the picture, but not when looking at the actual quilt???  So weird!   BUT, I was very grateful to her because I would ABSOLUTELY have sewn it together wrong!  

Michael and I got showered and cleaned up in time for Ralph and Candyce to pick us up and head for Red Rocks.  There were 10 of us for dinner:  

Carol & Jerry

Carol & Ed

Dave & Marge

Candyce & Ralph

my honey & me

and we had excellent food and a wonderful time.  We were home before 10 and relaxed and read our books in the living room for just a bit before bed.  

My honey posted an excellent point on Facebook…and it is SO TRUE:  “I just want to note that they attacked Obama with racism, smeared his wife and kids, demanded his birth certificate, questioned his faith, and not once did Obama stoop to the level of scream expletives and accusing the opposition of treason.  NOT ONCE.  NOT A SINGLE DAY IN 8 YEARS.  

Wake up and smell the coffee, people…and stop drinking the Trump Koolaid!!

You know, every year when my honey sets up our Christmas Tree, he complains that we don’t have a tree skirt. 



Now I have to tell you, decades ago I made a Christmas tree skirt…and I wish I had a picture because EVERYONE who saw it thought it was gorgeous…..it was given to a family member….I’m no longer sure whether or not they are still using it, but it was beautiful…it had a royal blue and gold, in addition to the regular red and green Christmas colors.  




Anyway, when Michael asked for a Christmas tree skirt…that is the pattern I thought about.  It used a 9 degree wedge ruler, and after I made the original skirt, my sister-in-law Sandy (Earl’s sister) borrowed my ruler…and I never got it back.  





So, about 5 – 6 years ago, I finally re-bought the ruler…which promised that the pattern I wanted was part of the cardboard that the ruler was attached to.  That turned out to not be true…so I found an email address on the ruler and wrote to the woman about the pattern…never got a reply.  After that I spent several years occasionally looking anywhere on the internet for the pattern….no dice.  





I considered trying to make it up (I remembered some of it), but was pretty convinced I would never get it totally correct.  Finally last year I was once again looking and I found a blog.  










The blog writer explained that the woman who had created the ruler and pattern had died, and the blog writer asked for and received permission to detail the instructions…and voila….Michael got an early Christmas present and he was THRILLED!!!  





The pattern makes 2 skirts at once, and I decided he got to pick which one he liked the best….I am happy that we both liked the same one  :~).


Of course, after he opened them, Ethel had a ball exploring and DIVING into the center hole:








2 comments:

  1. One of your best blogs ever!!! Great pics of Ethel and US!! Loved Paula's head lights - and June's Xmas tree !! WOW - We have a great life - Maybe you could borrow Paula's head dress for tonight???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you showed all the step by step pictures of creating the tree skirts as you were telling the story! They are beautiful, and I told Michael on Facebook that he picked the "right" one. :-))

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.