Monday, April 29, 2019

breakfast, painted egg, flowers, masking


Janice was on the road just after 7 AM Sunday morning (4/28)…and was home safely by 8 PM.  I couldn’t really be too sad because she will be back in 2-1/2 weeks to live here for about 2-1/2 weeks!!!  

Michael took Cookie for a walk first thing and had breakfast on the lanair when he got home:  


Since he had the oven on to cook his cinnamon buns, I finally got my little egg souffles put together as well (they're filled with onions, cheese and broccoli):



After that I headed to my studio.  I’ll be truthful, I spent the whole day looking at patterns and PINTEREST for a new batik quilt to start, and thinking about Janice on that long drive home.  I just couldn’t really turn my hand to anything else….maybe I was a little sadder than I thought about Janice leaving….

Michael finally finished up my last cookie from the cookie decorating class I took a couple of weeks ago!  I think this was just an incredible idea for a kids party or whatever.  You buy a cookie that has been glazed with white royal icing and a heavy outline in black.  the cookie comes in a bag with a paintbrush and a small square of food safe 'paints':



You wet the brush, swirl it around in the paints, and paint your egg (or whatever):


Is that not cool or what!??!

After that he headed outside to document our roses, which have exploded in the last couple of days:


and our one two-tone iris:



Finally at 5 PM I started to cut out a bit of fabric for something new, and also decided it was time to tackle trying out ‘masking’ on my new longarm.  I posted a message on the FB group looking for answers to some questions earlier in the day, but I didn’t really get any answers.  Sometimes that is a VERY frustrating thing about FB.  Anyway, I put in a call to someone, got walked through it, and started off.  


Look closely.  That is my longarm computer screen.  The red portion is rows that have already been completed.  The green rows are what is going to stitch out, and the empty blob places are where my embroideries are and I have 'blanked out' the stitching in those areas.

Compare these 2 pictures where the quilting totally goes over the embroideries:




To these 2 where the quilting mostly goes around them:



Obviously I need more practice, but I am pleased with this first attempt!

And I am thrilled that my quilt is finally done….YAY!!  

At 9 PM I finally headed upstairs and collapsed on the sofa with my honey.

2 comments:

  1. How clever of you and your new machine to work the quilting around an spot that you don't want the quilting to go! And...what are you doing with all of those egg things. Did I miss something? swamino1@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flower photos and great job on 'masking' !

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.