Tuesday, October 23, 2018

loving my hydrangeas, weaving group, SNS martini night


Another beautiful and lush bouquet from my hydrangeas:



We still had so many that when Lynn admired them, I told her to come down and cut as many as she wanted, so she also has a bouquet.  AND, I forgot to post this from yesterday....while Lynn & Nadine were here, they wanted a picture of my Ethel sweetie:


Michael had a late tee time on Monday (10/22), so didn’t leave the house until just after 9 AM.  I had a nice long chat with Pat W before getting back to quilting.  I got the program put together on the last baby quilt, got my bobbins wound and kicked off the quilting:  


I thought this flower design would somewhat echo the big flower on the quilt:


While that was going on, I finished up the binding on the first Quilt of Valor…pics tomorrow when I get all of the ends in and the label stitched down.  

I left before 1 PM for our weaving group get together…what a wonderful afternoon.  Rosalie was teaching us a new Christmas ornament that was created by weaving around a cardboard form…how lovely:  

Rosalie, scoring the base





Susie, only 2 months after open heart surgery!!!

Rosalie & Kathy

They even made me take a pic of my newly started 'rainbow' necklace....I LOVE it!!!



I beat Michael home by about 10 minutes and we spent about an hour out on the lanair…it was beautiful!  I got cleaned up after that and headed out to martini night at Ellie’s house.  There were 6 of us 

Kathi (a surprise guest) and our hostess Ellie

 Alice & Pat

Joyce

and it was a wonderful evening.  The lasagna for dinner was so rich and creamy and the garlic bread was to die for.  We played a game called FIVE SECONDS…and we all thought they should make a ‘senior’ version called THIRTY SECONDS  :~).  There was éclair cake for dessert 


and homemade candied apples as we left….



all in all a wonderful evening. 

I saw a recent letter to the editor….and this woman said it so much better than I ever could:

“When I express criticism of the president’s words or actions, some people say, ‘You just hate Trump.’ I have to admit that they are right.

But with that said, I need to clarify that I don’t hate him because he’s a Republican and supports tax cuts for the rich and gutting environmental regulations. I don’t hate him for his incompetence or his willful ignorance. I don’t hate him for his corruption. I don’t hate him for his mendacity. I don’t hate him for being a tool of the Russians. I dislike him, but I don’t hate him.

I am appalled by his adoration of autocrats, but I don’t hate him for it. I am appalled by his disdain for American institutions, especially freedom of the press, but I don’t hate him for it.

I hate him for his cruelty.

I hate him for using dehumanizing language when he talks about immigrants. I hate him for tearing families apart and putting children in cages.

I hate him for being so quick to insult and demean and belittle. I hate him for dismissing the pain of protestors.

I hate him for mocking a disabled reporter, and a prisoner of war, and a Gold Star family. The president of the United States stood at a podium at a campaign rally and mocked a woman for telling her story about being sexually assaulted; then he grinned while his followers laughed and cheered and applauded. Yes, that. I hate him for that.

Miriam Johnson
Columbia

You know, this woman is right….you cannot say the slightest negative thing to a Trumpeter.  When I put something in my blog about going to Canada, and maybe getting buttons that said ‘end the orange menace”….at that time I had over 2 THOUSAND blog postings….but someone immediately attacked me and asked if I was going to change the title of my blog to something including Trump bashing.  One small entry, against more than 2 THOUSAND….and a former reader couldn’t deal with it.  Yes, I have posted many things since….because I am very afraid and depressed.  A neighbor recently argued with my honey when Michael was indicating that he didn’t think any president should be speaking about people in the derogatory way that Trump does.  This neighbor’s defense was ‘hey, have you looked at your 401K recently’?  

Is this what it’s all about?  I’ve got mine…and the heck with anyone else?  That attitude is certainly becoming more and more pervasive (thanks I believe to the values and rhetoric coming straight out of the White House)…and doesn’t represent the America I thought was developed from our founding principles.  But, in these days of the golden rule…you know….he who has the gold, rules….those principles seem further and further away.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like great progress on your rainbow necklace ! Flower quilting design is perfect !!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.