Wednesday, March 18, 2015

sandwich bread, quilting on second rainbow, tutorial mile-a-minute blocks



HAPPY ST PATRICK”S DAY!!!!  I have not made bread in awhile because Michael picked up a loaf of rye from the store…but we are totally out….so today was the day!   















I got it mixed up early in the morning and threw a load of laundry in before heading to the studio.  Then it was 2 hours of paperwork from my meetings on Monday, before I got back to my rainbow quilt.  My honey made me a FABULOUS (see, coulda said smurfy here :~) grilled cheese sandwich on fresh bread for lunch....and finally, in the early afternoon the rainbow quilting was done.  

you can see my little blue pieces of tape which mark my fabric when I have to scroll for the next pattern
















 I used the same pattern I did on the first rainbow as it was easy and I was in a hurry :~).  I spent the rest of the day working on mile-a-minute blocks…trying to clean some of the fabric out from under my sewing table  :~).  A few people have asked a few more questions about the blocks.  I’m making them by sewing random, small leftover pieces of fabric together, along with some bigger pieces (like leftover ends of binding) until I get something that looks like this:   















 I slap my 3-1/2 inch ruler (it is SO CUTE!) down on an angle :
















Then cut off 2 sides, which will be sewn to each other:













Then I cut off the 2 remaining sides:














Which will also be sewn to each other...giving me one mile-a-minute block and 2 new small pieces which will be the "centers" of 2 additional blocks:



Anyway, I sewed on those until we had dinner and left for the movies…THE SECOND BEST MARIGOLD HOTEL….it was wonderful…we loved the first one AND this one.  We were home at 10 and Michael headed to bed…I stayed up just a bit longer to finish up a book.

2 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial ! Glad you're making good use of your scraps... ;) I'm convinced they multiply when you're not looking !! ;) (MJ in CT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I liked your pictorial for mile a minute better than the video link you originally sent. Maybe just some sample pictures without all the jibberjabber works better for me.....
    2) I LOVE the orange fabric in the rainbow quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.