Saturday, September 14, 2013

ham & cheese poppyseed rolls


Michael left for an ear appointment Friday morning (9/13) and after I cleaned up the kitchen I headed over to Al’s condo to get the tour.  It is just beautiful and I can’t wait until his assistant Lynn and her hubby get in today.  They will be coming to see our house tomorrow and I’m sure Lynn and I will have 100 things to talk about.  After a quick visit to the bank and the grocery store on the way home, I headed to the kitchen for a bit of work.  My friend who has a malignant brain tumor is throwing a little luncheon to thank all of the people that have brought them dinner over the past year…and I wanted to make those ham & cheese & poppy seed rolls as a contribution.  I made the dough before I left in the morning and it took me so long to run all of my errands that it was spilling out of the proofing bowl by the time I got home.  I got it punched down and shaped and finished reading my newest book while they rose and baked. 
 
The book was THE PERFECT GHOST by Linda Barnes.  I had a little trouble getting into the book…but once I did, it was very different and very interesting and very hard to put down…not to mention it had a several twists at the end that I in NO WAY saw coming J.  By the time Michael got home, the rolls were baked and cooled and I proceeded to finish the recipe.
first split into 10 rolls and 10 rolls (to make it easier), then split in 1/2 horizontally
 
 


spread top and bottom with the butter/poppyseed/mustard/onion/Worcestershire
'sauce'
 

then the ham layer

the swiss cheese layer

and finally we put them back together and popped them back into the baking pan
they'll be re-heated on Saturday for just a few minutes to get the cheese to melt


We had Chinese for dinner and Michael wanted to watch a movie in the evening, so I stayed in the studio working on a new project I hope to have done for the craft fair in October.  I want to make a series of beautiful, lightweight shawls, with some interesting fringe….so working on that took me the rest of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.