Thursday, June 25, 2020

roving/yarn dying

Current Corona Virus Deaths in the US - 124,331


                                           Yesterday - 123,476

Nearly 180,000 Americans will die from the coronavirus by October 1 unless just about everyone starts wearing masks, new projections show. That expert prediction comes as the US records more than 2.3 million Covid-19 cases -- and as the three most populous US states set records for new cases daily. California reported more than 7,000 cases on Tuesday, obliterating a record hit a day earlier. Florida and Texas announced they had recorded more than 5,000 new Covid-19 cases on Tuesday, and one health expert fears major Texas cities could see “apocalyptic” numbers.  As cases spike, Disney postponed the reopening of Disneyland, and governors are urging people to wear masks and stay home. The US fatality forecast would drop to 146,000 by October if 95% of Americans masked up in public, a model forecasts. (CNN)

*******************

My back was very tight and sore on Wednesday (6/24) so I had to forgo my bike ride.  Instead I baked chocolate chip cookies:


in the morning for my honey, while he picked more blueberries:


and then I got to do my first harvest of basil:




to make pesto for us!  I got to SKYPE with Janice in the morning and we talked for almost TWO HOURS!!!  After that I had time to eat some breakfast before heading off to Roasalie’s for yarn dying with natural dyes.  Paula has been saving her avocado skins and pits for it, and there was also beet juice and onion skins. 


avocado shells

Rosalie's roving

Rosalie getting ready

Pam is eager to dive in

more avocado shells

setting up equipment

some solutions must be heated

removing the shells from the liquid




putting roving in mordant, which will help dye to bond with protein in roving




removing from mordant and adding to avocado shell liquid





checking it out





overdying some yarn



and dying natural colored yarn





pinkish color from avocado shells








I didn’t get home until after 5 PM as we talked and talked and talked the entire time!!!  Michael and I had leftovers for dinner and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

1 comment:

  1. I have been saving avocado pits. I didn't know I could save the skins too. I want to dye fabric with them.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.