Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Ultimate baking = Lady Locks!, bread, SNS Martini Night


Monday (9/25) was another wonderful day with Inez 



and for me, the pinnacle of our baking :~).  Michael left for golfing and we got busy making the shells for our Lady Locks.  What are Lady Locks?  They are a Pittsburgh tradition; here’s an excellent write-up: https://www.seductioninthekitchen.com/lady-locks/.  

I really agree with what this woman says, about both the Lady Locks AND about being from Pittsburgh :~).  I know Michael wouldn’t hesitate to tell you how proud I am of saying Pgh (yes, that's the right abbreviation) when anyone asks where I am from.  

Anyway, Inez and I made the shells in the morning…and I learned a few things about how to wrap them correctly….my second set came out much better than my first.  


















We took a break for a bit and I got a bit more sewing done, while I introduced Inez to CALL THE MIDWIFE on NETFLIX.  I am working on a new baby quilt and am not sure whether I’ll like it when I’m finished…I'll have to wait and see:  















In the afternoon we headed back upstairs and made the filling.  




Inez also thought it would be a great idea to dip one end of several of the shells into chocolate.  She and Michael liked the chocolate ones....but I ate mine plain:



When I ate one, I was instantly transported back to my childhood!  They are truly luscious...melt in your mouth good!!!  And I can't believe the work all of those women went through to make these back then.  I didn't know anyone who had a stand mixer.....we are very lucky with our modern conveniences!

I also got some bread baked while we were in the kitchen: 















and after Michael came home with an 83 as his golf score, he delivered 1/2 a warm loaf each to neighbors and friends Phil & Evelyn and Phil & Gale.  

Inez and I left close to 6:30 PM for Martini Night, and it was a HOOT!  

Inez & Bonnie

Andi & Alice

Barb & Donnis (always in motion!)









































a much better picture: Barb and our hostess Donnis


First, Donnis had a salad/baked potato bar!  She had a big bowl of greens at one end of the table, and a roaster of baked potatoes at the other end, and the middle was filled with more things than you could possibly imagine as toppings for both.  





Everything was YUMMY!!!  Then the 7 of us played 99, but with a twist.  We each brought 3 dimes, 3 quarters and 3 dollars and factored those into the game…..we laughed and laughed….I LOVED it!!  

Alice, winning the first round  :~)

Dessert was angelfood cake, with a choice of strawberries/pineapple/raspberries, and then whipped cream....either chocolate or vanilla or both...heaven!

















We were home by 10:30 and fell into bed….what a wonderful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.