Wednesday, July 5, 2017

4th of July parade, candlelight on the porch

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!  I made wild blueberry scones Tuesday morning (7/4) and headed down to Paula & Doug’s for their traditional 4th of July brunch while watching the parade.  I think it’s very gracious of them to have this gang of people over every year!!!  We got pics of our neighbors before they headed off to be in the parade:
















Then headed off to Paula's.  There was lots of good food,









good friends:
















And of course....Paula...the consumate hostess...handing out mimosas to the leaders of the parade:



Then the rest of the parade swept by:




Uncle Sam segway....always a welcome addition to any parade











































At least 96 golf carts and innumerable motorcycles and cars.  A group of parade watchers followed us back home, wanting to see our new porch and also taking a quilting tour.  I loved it because one of Paula’s neighbors said “WOW – everywhere you look there are quilts!”  After that, Michael headed off to the grocery store (last day of the sales), while I read for a bit before heading downstairs.  I started a new series by Marie Bostwick.  The first book in the series is A SINGLE THREAD.  It is just a good story with a quilting theme and to me, they read somewhat like other “southern” books my friend Ginny has recommended (Ginny & Paula I think you both might like them….if you need the full list, there are only 6, just let me know.)  Since I was waiting for opinions on the newest Valor quilt, I got the baby quilt and the Clinton quilt off of the frame, got all of the bobbin ends woven in and got each one trimmed.  Michael and I were thinking of Chinese for dinner, but our local place was closed, so we just made do…him with yoghurt and me with a baked potato, then Larry picked him up at 6:15 for the movies.  They saw BABY DRIVER and while they were gone I continued sewing by making binding for the baby quilt and starting to sew it on.  I got the binding totally complete by the time he came home and announced that he and Larry both agreed it was the best movie they have seen this year!  I wanted to sit out on our porch (we haven’t done so lately) and had a surprise set up for Michael.  We used to burn candles all of the time in Connecticut, but our house in South Carolina doesn’t seem to lend itself to candle burning….but I thought our new porch might provide that opportunity…and I was right…it was lovely:















We didn’t get to bed until after 11 PM…it was just terrific sitting out there talking and enjoying the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.