Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Fiber Nutz Weaving Group


I hopped up much earlier on Tuesday (3/5), made a grocery list for my honey, and headed down to get my blog out.  

After that I spent time basting the last quilt I will do on Miss Scarlett and getting my bobbins wound and the quilting program set up.  



When I finish this quilt, I will have completed 287 quilts on Miss Scarlett.  You all know the problems I had in the beginning, but I never would have been able to complete so many charity quilts without her.  I also got a label made for my baby quilt:  



By then it was time to head upstairs, pull together my own charcuterie board: 




and welcome the Fiber Nutz (weaving group).  We had 2 new members today: 

Laura - who is into felting...what a beautiful pin

this woman was amazing to me...she had hip replacement surgery ONE week ago!!!

and Paula, who's hand embroidering there

and then the rest of the old familiar gang:  

Pam - one of the 2 originators of our group

Jan - who we haven't seen in awhile and were very glad to have back

Jan again showing this gorgeous yarn she spun then plied


Kathy

Susan - again we haven't seen her in awhile so it was nice that she could attend

Melanie - so creative in a wide variety of mediums

Marilyn - who has a felted piece in the new art show around the walking track

and Rosalie - the other originator of our group

Rosalie

Pam & Jan

Kathy & Susan

I think this is the largest group we’ve ever had.  There was lots of show and tell, lots of talking, lots of laughing and even a quick tour of my sewing studio.  I love this group of women, it is always a fun time when we get together.  My honey wisely stayed out of the way by going to a matinee!  Everyone left around 4 PM and after a quick clean-up, I plopped down to read my book until Michael got home.  We had leftovers for dinner and watched TV for the rest of the evening.

End of an Era = I keep statistics on all of the quilts done (customer and otherwise) for each year.  At the end of the year I add them up into categories.  And as I mentioned above, for all of the angst that Miss Scarlett brought me for the first year I owned her, she brightened the lives of many, many other people by completing the quilt tops I had done.  Because of Miss Scarlett, in the almost 5 years that I've owned her, I’ve completed 20 quilts for Beds=Dreams.  I quilted 9 other quilts for free so that others could donate to the charity of their choice.  The Clinton School kids received 62 quilts, and 5 large quilted pieces were cut up into numerous beds to be donated to the cat/dog shelter.  There were 16 quilts given away as gifts, and 6 quilts donated for our own quilting group’s Prayers & Squares quilts.  And so far, I have completed 34 Quilts of Valor.  I truly believe that without Miss Scarlett, none of this would have happened.  I can’t wait to get my new longarm and figure out what her name is  :~).  And I anticipate many, many more charity quilts in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.