Friday, November 9, 2018

SHQ Show & Tell, Veteran's Luncheon

I was up early Thursday (11/8) just too nervous to sleep!  It’s finally the day for our veteran’s luncheon and I just want everything to go perfectly  :~).  My honey packed everything in the car before leaving for golf at Old Sycamore, and just before 9 AM I headed to Harris Teeter to pick up subs (additional food we ordered) and drinks and to head to the church.  We had our business meeting and show and tell before our guests arrived:  

an antique quilt....






I adore these pillows!


We had around 23 guests for our luncheon.  I’m not sure why it was so important to me that every veteran who wanted a quilt got one, but it was and I worked hard to try to have enough quilts…I ended up donating 12 quilts, here are just some of them:  

I think I'm teaching this as a class next year



still love this 4 patch frenzy



We had a total of 15 quilts available to give away.  In the end, we gave away 10 quilts at the luncheon, and 2 of the guests were not able to make it, so 2 ladies each took a quilt to hand out to them.  That means we gave away 12 quilts to veterans and I was positively THRILLED about that…and I think they were too!!  

We had all of the quilts displayed on a table as people came in, beautifully folded the way Andi had them….with the labels showing:  




and as the veterans came in, we asked if they had ever received a quilt previously, and if they hadn’t, whether they wanted one.  The guests all mingled 




and enjoyed our display on the stage of personal quilts:



until it was time to eat:  












The food was over-the-top wonderful and if anyone went away hungry it was their own fault  :~).  

After lunch, we did the presentations; each veteran was draped with a quilt, and talked a bit about the military branch they were in and their years of service.  Sometimes they were joined by family who also attended the luncheon:


John Huneycutt

James Wilson

Calvin Newman

Barry Krone

David Wiltsie

Hugh Crenshaw

veteran Tommy Osborne flanked by wife Thelma on right and Jeri W 

Don McCorkle

Olin Wilson

Sharon Murphy
  
After that we heard from the rest of our veterans, who had previously received Quilts of Valor:


Ken Ostien

Bob Beaudry

Jonny Helms

Mike Murphy

our new Probate Court Judge, Dee and her veteran step dad, Jimmie

Ray Mullis

Bob Braund

And of course we got a nice group shot of everyone:



We had food-to-go boxes for dinners for anyone who wanted them…and the veterans were all SO VERY APPRECIATIVE of everything!  

I got home around 2:30 PM, after a quick stop at the library.  I was relaxing out on the lanair when Michael got home, and we talked for a bit.  I kept trying to motivate myself to do some sewing…but I was just totally beat!  Finally after dinner I managed to braid on my necklace while we watched TV and I finished another one:





4 comments:

  1. Very nice event for the Veterans !
    Your bead necklace looks perfect for the look you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! The adrenaline was flowing! You did good!
    AM143^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I had a lump in my throat just reading your blog. It must have been so emotional in person. That was a beautiful, beautiful event.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.