Thursday, November 8, 2018

final strips cut, deviled eggs, tutorial on ham/cheese/poppyseed appetizers


I was up early Wednesday (11/7) to pull together a grocery list for my food on Thursday (our veteran’s luncheon) and to head to the grocery store.  When I got home it was too early to start pulling my stuff together, so I headed to my studio and finally got the remaining light colored strips cut (40 in total) to go with some jelly rolls that BG is bringing to retreat:  


We bought these jelly rolls months ago with a particular pattern in mind, but the pattern really depends on a jelly roll pack that runs the gamut from light to dark.  All of our strips are dark, so we had to come up with another pattern to do.  

I got a few rows of quilting done on the leaf quilt: 

a gorgeous leaf pattern!

and also found another UFO.  Many, many months ago, Linda asked if I would take blocks she had finished and turn them into a Quilt of Valor.  I re-found them and Michael arranged them on the wall:  



This is going to be interesting because I need to find a common size among the blocks and get them all trimmed down, and I hope to get them sewn together before I leave next Monday for the Fiber Floozie retreat.  

Michael ran a few errands in the afternoon and came home with something we hope will solve a current problem:  


The kitties latest idea of fun is to scoot their metal water bowls across the carpet and eventually tip them over….hopefully these new ones won’t slide nearly as well or at all, and the problem will be solved.  

He also brought home KFC pot pies, so that was our early dinner after which I started working on my food for our Veteran’s luncheon at quilting.  

I had boiled eggs earlier in the day and Michael peeled them for me, so I made up my deviled eggs:  


just some of the ingredients I use in my eggs

I absolutely LOVE my egg plate, but it is horrible for transporting them so Anne loaned me her carrier.  

After that I made up those ham/cheese sandwiches with the poppy seed sauce….but I like to use raw dough and make them up in a jelly roll form: 

roll out dough and layer with thinly sliced ham

then add cheese

roll up tightly jelly roll fashion

slice and put into greased 9'' by 13'' pan

I made a double batch because I wanted at least 20 of them, so we'll have these few leftover for dinner!

make the poppy seed sauce and spoon over top.  they'll get baked at quilting

By then it was time to relax and work on one of my bead necklaces while watching TV with my honey.

2 comments:

  1. Okay I am jealous of the purple water bowl! Even I want to drink from it!
    And what the heck is a jelly roll - I love the colors though!
    AM143^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those nine patch blocks we're a swap. That's why they are not all the same size. I had totally forgotten about them. hi Claudia is

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.