Sunday, November 15, 2015

begin Aunt Grace's quilt, Elsie, #1 dino quilt started, extra sides for clamps, Sandy's quilt

Sorry, no post yesterday...didn't have internet service until 1 PM!
*********************************


I had an early morning routine doctor’s appointment on Friday (11/13), and didn’t get home until around 11 AM after stops at Comporium, the vet’s and the grocery store.  I was STARVING by then (I was supposed to get blood work done, so had fasted, but we postponed it until January) and so spent a bit of time making something for brunch!  Then I hit my studio, basted down the new top and started quilting.  I liked the previous pattern so much that I decided to use it on this quilt too:      
 I got the quilting 1/2 way done before it was time to get cleaned up and changed and head on out to Michael’s dinner theatre.  I had organized 20 of us from SCCL (I rode over with Susan & Jim & Melanie) and the dinner was wonderful (chicken, green beans, potatoes, corn pudding…with cheesecake for dessert!) and the play was great.  It was called INTERRUPTIONS and was very funny.  Michael played a plumber and none of us could figure out how he kept that cigarette in his mouth while he was talking.  I rode home with my honey and we watched a bit of TV before bed.

*************

Br-r-r-r-r….Saturday morning (11/14) we definitely woke up to “frost on the pumpkin”.  Michael’s chair/quilt had a rare new visitor when I went out to the living room in the morning: 












There was no frost delay for Michael’s 9:30 AM tee off time though, so he left at 9 AM, with several layers of clothes on.  I made a fried egg for breakfast and headed down to the studio.  I had a few hiccups while finishing Aunt Grace’s quilt, but finally got everything fixed and done by 11 AM.  I immediately loaded up one of the baby dino quilts to start getting it quilted.  


It was a bit of a pain-in-the-butt as the quilt went to within 1/2 an inch of the backing, so I had to pin on extra sides to hold my clamps 

(and to hold my breath that the quilt didn’t shift too much!)  Those had to be pinned and unpinned each time I advanced the quilt…so that slowed me down quite a bit (as it is, I’m already an EXTREMELY slow long arm quilter :~).  But that’s ok…right?  I really do try to subscribe to the “it’s the journey, not the destination” school of thought.  Sandy stopped by at lunchtime to pick up her quilt.   





Luckily she decided to take a chance on me being home, since our phone and internet have been out at least since we got up this morning!!  She had been calling and she sent an email, but on her way out for errands she decided to swing by.  She seemed very pleased with her quilt and we got to talk for just a bit before she left.  I continued to work on quilting in the afternoon and in between the rows of stitching, I got a bit pieced on a new quilt I am starting:   



Michael had soup for dinner and left for his performance, and I continued sewing until 10:30 when he got home.  I was really beat, but very happy with everything I got done.  I got both quilts finished and off of the frame, trimmed them and got all of the ends woven in.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the beginnings of the new quilt ! (MJnCT)

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.