Sunday, October 12, 2014

tomatoes!


It was EIGHTY-EIGHT degrees on Wednesday, and Thursday (10/9) was more of the same….what happened to the beautifully cool weather we had just a week or so ago?  Thanks to Michael packing up the entire car…I got to quilting on time.  My friend Debra did a FABULOUS demo on fabric painting….I am hot to try it out….so many ideas….so little time….~sigh~  I was home by 1:30 and spent the afternoon setting up my design for the quilt on Miss Scarlet.  That way I can hit the ground running on Sunday morning and get it stitched out.  I also spent about an hour watching YOUTUBE videos on quilting.  We got a pizza for dinner, and picked up Anne & Bryce at 6:30 and headed up to the Lake House for a performing arts presentation.  The play they put on was totally written and performed by SCCL people…and it was all about a 50th high school reunion, with lots of twists and turns.  It was very fun and we had a good time.  As always, it was nice to be home 5 minutes after the performance was over  :~).
**************************
Friday morning I was up early to meet 8 other women at the Lake House to head off for a 2 day embroidery seminar.  We met lots of fun ladies, but I was exhausted by the time I got home at 5:30.  Michael and I had leftover pizza for dinner and did ‘date night’ with STAR TREK V – THE FINAL FRONTIER and big bowls of popcorn.  Saturday was just the same….all day full of embroidery, but this time I was home around 4:00.  I tried to take a short nap (but it’s very hard to sleep when the dog keeps licking you!!)  I got up and headed to my studio.  I am HOT to start making another quilt top, and got some clarification from a very kind blogger who had made the same quilt I want to start….so I started to pull together my fabrics.  I got a lot of strips cut before heading upstairs to watch TV and snuggle with my honey around 8.

So, Michael and I generally plant a grape or cherry tomato plant on the deck.  We did that this year, and though we got a lot of tomatoes from it….it seemed to blacken and die very quickly.  Michael cut the whole thing down and composted it, and pushed the container over to the side of the deck.  Fast forward a month and I notice a spindly little sprout growing.  I can’t bear to let it die…so I wheeled it back out into the sun and started watering it.  Our temps are very cold in the evenings now…but I have been rewarded
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Yes, 7 or so little tomatoes….I’m going to keep an eye on the weather and pick them before a frost…they can ripen in the kitchen and hopefully we’ll have 7 little home grown tomatoes in NOVEMBER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.