Sunday, October 26, 2014

Elsie & Cookie a trois, new quilt, older quilt, bread

Another chilly day on Friday morning (10/25).  Michael left to eat breakfast out and run a bunch of errands, while I headed to the studio to trim my blocks.  I spent a good bit of time Thursday night looking at everything I had completed at Thursday quilting, and finally decided that trimming to 6-1/2 inches was my best option.  I am trying to match other blocks that I made at least 15 years ago…their sizes are a bit wonky… so 6-1/2 inches seems to work for everything.  Other than a brief visit with Jan to borrow some quilting books for a few new ideas…I worked in the studio all day.  We had the turkey/barley soup for dinner, and Michael said it was fighting Mexican Chicken Soup for first place in his favorite soups…high praise indeed!  We left after 6:30 to head into Charlotte for Vanya & Sonya & Masha & Spike…the latest offering from Actor’s Theatre.  The play was GREAT….just what we needed.  We were home by 11 PM, and read for just a bit while the electric blanket warmed up, and then dove in.  I finished A PLACE AT THE TABLE by Susan Rebecca White, which was a really great book.
*************************** 

I think it was still in the 30’s when Michael left at 8 AM for golf here at SCCL on Saturday (10/25)…but I saw another sure sign of the cold weather as I worked in my studio all day







Yep, my babies are snuggling once again…a sight to warm any mother’s heart :~).  I spent most of the day cutting suede to fill in with my 6-1/2 inch blocks…have I told you about those?  About 15 years ago I made a quilted coat for my oldest sister.  I had no idea how many blocks I would need…and so made MANY!!  I also had leftover 1-1/2 inch strips that I had been using to make the blocks.  I finally decided to sew the strips together and combine them with the leftover blocks to make a quilt.  I've been working on it on Thursdays at Scrap Happy Quilters.  By the end of the day, I had this:
the suede looks blue in the picture, but is actually
kind of purple-y blue


I need one more row on the top and on the bottom to make it a single bed size…I will work on those blocks over the coming week...but I have to tell you...this one will be HARD to give away...the color is PERFECT!  Then I’ll need one fabric for all of the setting triangles around the outside and the top will be done.  Willa stopped by to give me some dark blue fabric, which I am using for the final border and binding strips for this quilt

 

 
 Michael came home around 2 PM with an 88, and shortly afterwards I got bread baked and Jan stopped by to pick up 1/2 a loaf. 
 
True friend that I am, I let her take home my quilt book, which came in Saturday’s mail BEFORE I even got a chance to look at it :~).  I figured it was the least I could do after all of the blue and tan fabric Jan gave me so that I could complete my latest top.  Michael and I had another date night in the evening, with big bowls of popcorn and the STAR WARS IV movie.  Another perfect and VERY productive day and night.

1 comment:

  1. I love the 'movement' of the blue/tan quilt!!' (mj in ct)

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.