Monday, April 11, 2016

labels, scraps, pea soup tutorial, Shirley's 3rd quilt finished, Jan & Cookie



We slept in a little bit on Sunday (4/10) before Michael had oatmeal for breakfast in front of the fire.  I got laundry started, then headed to the studio to get back to my scraps/blocks.   Making the blocks takes a bit of time as I have to sew several scraps together before they are big enough to cut into a block, so I decided to double my productivity by embroidering several labels I promised for a friend:   
 
3 down.....5 to go

So, the good news is….I got through the rest of that initial pile of scraps…

the bad news is…I FOUND AN ENTIRE ‘NOTHER DRAWER OF SCRAPS!!!   


So, I started to slog through those.  I kept sewing scraps to other scraps all day and night long...and they too kept multiplying when I wasn't looking...you can tell because the pile never seems to get any smaller  :~(.  I took a break at 10 AM to get split pea soup into the crockpot: 
 
diced carrots

diced celery & onions

2 quarts of ham stock

a pound of split peas,,,and I had a quart of diced ham to add at the end


Did you notice the 2 quarts of beautiful ham stock?  And it IS stock and not broth.  Do you know the difference between those 2 terms?  Although they are used pretty interchangeably today, stock is traditionally made with bones, and broth is not. 

Anyway,   I watched MOONSTRUCK in the afternoon and 4 WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL in the evening while Michael reveled in THE MASTERS coverage.   Shirley stopped by in the afternoon to pick up her third quilt:  

this swirl-y pattern is one of my new designs



























 and Jan came over for dinner, 


so I made fresh popovers…we all had those, Michael had leftover Italian Wedding soup, I had split pea and Jan had a small bowl of each :~).  She and Michael also had some of Loree’s delicious éclair cake  for dessert.

I sewed until 10 PM and finished up a bunch more blocks:



But I STILL have more scraps to work on  :~(.  Maybe they'll be finished by the time I go to bed on Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.