Sunday, February 18, 2018

dinner before the show

I started up the laundry again on Saturday morning (2/17), since Michael needs his ‘play’ clothes washed between every performance.  He was up early for golfing, and I was up as well with a million things to do.  Sixteen of us are going to the play tonight, and I will be having the traditional pot luck dinner before the play (but only 8 people are coming to the dinner).  I’m on deck to fix Michael’s hair tonight before he leaves, so I wanted to have all of the dinner preparations done early so that I wouldn’t be rushed.  I got the island cleared off and set: 


while Michael added a leaf to our kitchen table.  I got all of the extra chairs out and put a table cloth on.  That all happened while my dessert was baking:  














Susie made these Swedish Almond Bars several weeks ago and gave out the recipe.  I made them once and they were excellent, but Michael doesn’t really like almond flavor.  So, this time I made them with orange flavoring, added orange zest, and sprinkled mini-chocolate chips on top instead of almonds…they seemed to be a big hit!!  I think God was watching out for me because when a friend called needing an emergency ride to a car rental place, I had everything done and it was simple to go right out the door!  When I got home, I finally printed labels for our Prayers & Squares quilts:  


(BG – I wish you were here…I could have used your expertise….they were acting up in the printer, just like the wings  :~), and worked on my patriotic blocks.  The guests arrived at 5:30 PM and I had such a good time eating and talking that I didn’t take even one picture  :~(.  You'll just have to trust me that everything from the ziti with meatballs to the warm crab dip to the almond muffins was excellent!  Oh well, since there were only 8 of us, we could all eat at the table and we just sat around talking…it was wonderful.  We left at 6:30 PM to head out to see Michael…and the play was wonderful!!!  Lots and lots of laughs….I think everyone was perfectly cast….we all had a good time!  It was another late night for us….I’m glad Michael has a matinee on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.