Friday, February 9, 2018

Cookie & Elsie, antique quilts, SHQ show and Tell

I had a bit of extra time on Thursday morning (2/8) so I got my borders and binding cut for the new Clinton quilt before heading off to quilting.  when I came upstairs, this was happening:


Susie who is one of our quilting members (who is a quilt judge, prolific quilter and hand piecer/quilter extraordinaire) gave a talk on antique quilts from 1850 to about 1950, and brought many examples.  She had at least one quilt per decade (she’s been collecting antique quilts since HIGH SCHOOL!!!!)  And she had interesting stories about each one….I think we could have listened to her for ANOTHER hour…an excellent speaker  :~).  

1850's

probably a wedding quilt...you can tell by the unbroken border





a millenial quilt....going from 1899 - 1900...1000 charm pieces


an intriguing find....



to be basted at the top of the quilt to protect it from stains, stress, etc


BG - scope out those yo-yos...you should show this to Bertha



WW II era

















and a 1970's era with double knit, and colors that will never fade...


We also had regular show and tell from our members:






















I got home after 2 PM (after a lively discussion with a few other quilters on the vote for incorporation or not for our town...if you're wondering, at this moment in time Michael and I are definitely against incorporation) with new library books…so you know what that means…I read until an hour after Michael left for rehearsal (MURDER WITH MIRRORS) before finally being able to tear myself away to hit the studio.  I got my first men’s quilt trimmed and on the to-be-bound pile and got all of my border strips and binding strips sewn together for the newest quilt top.  Michael came home at 10:30 and we watched TV and snuggled late before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.