Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Dennis's quilt


Monday morning I woke up before 5 AM and couldn’t get back to sleep.  Finally at 6 I decided to head downstairs and start back with the quilt again.  I thought a lot about what happened on row 4 and thought that I had figured out a way to correct it…and I had  :~).  I got the other 7 rows finished by 10:30 (with time out for breakfast when Michael got up…I was STARVING!) and started to put the binding on.  That took a couple of hours…with a little time out to put bread dough together.  I was so tired I told Michael that I needed a nap, and took an hour long one!  Then I got to sit on the back porch (it was a beautiful day in the 70’s) and weave in all of the ends of the quilting thread where my bobbins ran out, or I had a problem.  We baked the bread and took 1/2 a loaf to Jeannie on the way to dropping off the quilt.  So…Michael golfs with the same core group of golfers every week.  One of the guys and his wife went up to Pittsburgh to scout out a place to have the rehearsal dinner for their son’s wedding.  They never got to do that…Dennis ended up with a gall bladder attack that put him in the hospital right away.  Then he got pancreatitis and almost died.  He was in intensive care for over a week.  (Side note to the Fiber Floozies…never again will I think I’m foolish for packing WAY MORE YARN than I can knit up during my vacation….sometimes bad things happen and you need stuff to do when your ‘vacation’ lasts longer than you think!!)  He finally got to come home, but was very weak and on oxygen 24/7.  The only thing he could eat was canned vegetables while he was trying to gain strength for gall bladder surgery.  I just felt led to make this quilt…and I am glad I did. 



the middle white background fabric has a golf motif

my standard label...are you sick of seeing it yet?

look at that stippling....I LOVE it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
He was sleeping when we dropped it off, but they called later in the evening.  Sue (his wife) mentioned that he has had a hard time getting warm…so I’m hoping this quilt with the snuggle-y flannel backing will help. 
Michael and I were both still beat Monday night, so we just picked at cast party leftovers for dinner while we sat and watched TV for the entire evening!  I was knitting and managed to finish an ascot for my across the street neighbor for Christmas….pics tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt ! I love the colors. Never tire of seeing the label and I especially like it in blue. ;) (mj in ct)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks fantastic...nice and masculine. And you whipped it up how fast???

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.