Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Paula's turkey stuff, neatened scraps

I worked for 1-1/2 hours on Tuesday morning (11/15) and finally got all of my write-ups for the Chocolate Event completed and posted on the home page of Volunteers.  Hopefully they are detailed enough to make it much easier for next year’s chairperson.  Michael and I had a quick breakfast after that before tackling the box of NINE!! turkey carcasses from Paula.  Paula either hosts or attends (didn’t quite get that straight) some big turkey party at the beginning of November each year.  This year she made them save ALL of the turkey carcasses (all 9 of them) and packed them into a clean garbage bag and then into a Xerox box: 



which she put in the freezer in the lodge.  This happened while I was in PA on my Fiber Floozie retreat.  I finally made it to the lodge on Monday to bring the box home.  I swear it weighed about 50 pounds…I’m lucky I got it to the car…then it had to thaw for 24 hours before I could pull it apart…but this morning I put 1/2 of the carcasses (carcassi?) in my big turkey roaster 















and covered them with water before heading out on a bunch of errands.  Paula knows it makes me crazy that I know hundreds of rotisserie chicken carcasses are thrown out each week in SCCL, that's why I've told my friends that if they're throwing out a chicken carcass...call me and I will come RIGHT OVER to pick it up!!  Anyway, after that Michael and I hit the chiro, Walmart, Target, Pet Smart, Omaha steaks, Southern Spirits, Papa Murphy’s, Dollar Tree & Aldi’s before making it home to collapse at 1 PM.  I headed up to Stitch & Chat around 1:30 for show and tell, and I’m really glad I went.  I took both baby quilts up and everyone loved them (although I don’t think anyone loves the back of the pink one as much as I do…pictures tomorrow hopefully!)  Anyway, the first quilt (the orange one) is for my dentist.  He also has an older daughter who is around 3 – 4, and I didn’t know what to do for her…but the suggestion at S&C was to give him BOTH of the quilts….I LOVE that idea.  So they’ll get one orange one and one pink-ish one and they can decide what’s what.  I stopped to talk to my honey (out walking the dog) on the way home, and finally got to my studio around 4 PM.  I continued to work on my scrap drawers (stopping for a luscious pizza for dinner) until 8 PM.  I ended up with 1-1/2 empty scrap drawers, and more 2-1/2 inch strips: 


and cut squares:  



After that I headed upstairs to take care of the turkey.  I strained the broth into 9 quart containers, threw away the bones, and loaded up the roaster with the other 1/2 of the turkey…to cook overnight back on the deck:  

After that I collapsed on the sofa with my honey.  He decided to NOT go to the movies…he has 4 more rehearsals this week as well as golfing and a couple of meetings, and he just wanted a quiet night at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.