Monday, July 29, 2013

peach cream pies, 3rd woven bag, hummingbird


Michael left for golf early on Saturday (7/27) and I got 2 peach cream pies made with the leftover peaches from the peach crisp: 
 


I used to make these 2 pies in September every year and take them in for my boss’s birthday….I would get up early and bake them in the morning, and drive everyone on the bus crazy with the smell  J.  I spent several hours working in my studio, then Michael and I got cleaned up and headed out to Pat and Mike’s for their open house.  They moved in on our street several months ago and I visited them then and brought some homemade jam, so I didn’t want to take the same thing to their meet-the-neighbors-open-house, hence the peach pie…one for us and one for them.  There were lots of people there we already knew, plus a few we had never met, so it was fun meeting some new people.  We only stayed for about 45 minutes, because we had to get home and get ready for our neighbor’s dinner at our house.  I put together baked beans and got them in the oven, then mixed up hamburger and spices and made 15 hamburger patties.  We were ready for the influx at 6 PM.  Now….asking me to remember to take pictures during a party is like asking the captain of the Titanic to pay attention to a hang nail, just as the ship starts to list!  Too many other things on my mind (Michael took all of the pictures at the birthday party).  So, I just have to tell you that we had potato salad, macaroni salad, spinach salad, lettuce/tomatoes/cheese/condiments, baked beans and a yummy lemon/blueberry cake for dessert.  We pushed out our furniture in the living room and set up tray tables for everyone.  It made it easy to talk to everyone, and there was still room to move around.   So it was 20 – 25 people over for the birthday party on Wednesday night and then 13 of us for dinner on Saturday…I think we’re done entertaining for a bit.

After a bike ride/dog walk on Sunday, we made blueberry pancakes for breakfast and perused the paper.  I spent many hours Sunday finally totally finishing the third woven bag:
 
and my veggie hat (this is supposed to be a pumpkin) and I'm not sure I'm doing any others because this one was a pain-in-the-patootie!:
 
At one point in the afternoon, I spent a bit of time playing wild life photographer.  We have 3 to 4 hummingbirds that play/fight all around our feeder.  One has taken to resting (hiding?) on a nearby lemon tree branch, and then attacking when 2 others try to come in for food.  I finally managed to get a picture of him on the branch…thanks to the new, greater zoom on our new camera:



 We had wonderful ‘mater sammiches for dinner, with luscious tomatoes from Dee and Howard’s garden and I spent several hours in the evening working on a Christmas quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.