Saturday, September 22, 2012

disappearing 4 patch, Halloween table topper


Thursday morning (9/20) Michael and Larry left for the second day of the SCCL golf tournament, and I picked up Nancy and we headed off to quilting.  We had a class on the ‘disappearing 4 patch’ and it was terrific.  With a few simple steps, we were able to create a very complicated looking block.  I did mine with just 2 colors, but Nancy worked on creating an Amish type quilt with black tone-on-tone fabric and many colors of fabric paired to the black.  All of the colors she used were previously handed dyed by her and her daughter, and they were stunning.  You start with this: 

 
then move to this: 

 
then it’s a quick hop, skip and jump (actually just one more step) to this:



 It was really VERY easy!  I got to work on it a bit when I got home, but didn’t get finished before Joanne picked me up at 4 (the guys were having dinner at the club after the tournament).  We are supposedly getting a Red Bowl near us, and Joanne wanted to go to the one a couple of towns over to see what it was all about.  It is a lot of fun to have dinner with her…she’s a very witty person and kept making funny comments about her food as it came out of the kitchen.  We were home by 6, and she went home to get her knitting before coming back to drink and craft.  The guys finally got back around 8:30 and Larry and Joanne took off for home.

Friday morning I got to walk with Beth before my hair appointment at 9 AM.  I got home in time to grab my knitting, along with 1/2 a bagel before heading out to Michael’s appointment to check up on his hearing aids.  When we were finished, he took me out to lunch at Donatos (score!) where he had a very unusual pizza.  He does like Hawaiian pizza (which is ham and pineapple) and they had that flavor, but it also had almonds and cinnamon on it.  He decided to try it and really liked it. 
 
We finally went sofa shopping on the way home.  Our love seat in the media room really needs to be replaced….all of the springs/stuffing on Michael’s side are gone and it is really hurting his back.  So….we went to La-Z-Boy on the way home to look at a few loveseats.  We found one Michael really liked, and we brought home a color swatch to make sure it wouldn’t clash with the walls.  We both loved it….so we will go back on Sunday to order it.  We had Sloppy Joes for dinner and I knit and we watched TV in the evening.
 
An exciting update!! Several months ago qt quilting, Floy taught a table topper class. I did one in Christmas fabrics...but it is not yet quilted…sigh.  Two weeks ago, a group of ladies brought in Halloween ones they had finished…and they were in a mini-size…..so cute!  Jan and I immediately decided we HAD to do them…and that is what I’ve been working on.  I mailed them out Wednesday (although I DO have 2 more tops to finish quilting) to Ginny and Leila (2 friends who are simply MAD about Halloween ) and they both got them on Friday….what a surprise…I’m glad I can now post the picture in the blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.