Monday, July 6, 2020

bread from me AND Leila!!


Current Corona Virus Deaths in the US - 132,571


                                           Yesterday - 132,331
******************************


We headed out Sunday morning (7/5) for my drive-by COVID test (literally, I never got out of my car!)  It turned out to be a non-event…..10 seconds of uncomfortable-ness, and then ice cream afterwards!  

We were home just after NOON (after a stop at CVS) and relaxed and read the paper for quite awhile before I headed downstairs.  

I got one more row done on the tablecloth (Michael didn't think it was quite wide enough when I took it up to check on the actual table): 





and it is definitely wide enough now….I stopped there and worked on starting to get my QoV’s off of the frame.  I got the second QoV off before heading back upstairs to make one loaf of regular bread and one loaf of cinnamon bread:  


We were supposed to have champagne and puffying things for dinner….the puffy things made it, but we decided to finally drink the bottle of prosecco our friends brought us months and months ago…..eh!  We much prefer our champagne, but at least that bottle is finally out of the fridge!

And now a little something to lighten the mood....a true story from Leila:

By now you know I have a deep appreciation for the absurd. And when something goes wrong, I laugh at myself. Now you can too.


I am trying to bake bread for the first time. I have had an Oster kitchen center for years -- blender, food processor, stand mixer all in one. I've used the stand mixer for baking (usually making frosting) but had never used the attachment for kneading dough. Until today.

I proofed the yeast, added the first bunch of flour and mixed. Then I added the second half of the flour and dough started to emerge. Literally -- it climbed the screws, pushing against the top of the mixer threatening to push out over the bowl like lava from a volcano. I brandished a spatula pushing it down over and over. It was winning. Seriously (or not) -- it was like a science experiment gone wrong (or as I refer to it "a Lucy and Ethel moment").

I stopped it and ended up fighting with the stand mixer attachment to get it to lift so I could get the bowl with the dough out. After several curse words, I got the mixer to release.

I finished kneading by hand and it is currently resting. As am I.  
We will see after all this wrangling whether the end product is edible.

More to come! In the meantime, I'm going to look to see if there are any deals for a Kitchenaid stand mixer. LOL

Leila's finished bread.....looks yummy!!!


AND, she bought a Kitchen Aid mixer....in AQUA!!!!  I'm totally jealous!!

1 comment:

  1. Hats off to Leila. I guess I didn’t know her well enough to know she was that funny! I finally bought myself a Kitchen aid mixer a few months ago. Wanted one for years and years. Mine is RED!

    Inez

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.