Sunday, March 23, 2014

tutorial on ruebenwich, some guests at potluck

After breakfast on Friday (3/21), Michael took the dog for a walk, while I put together 2 ruebenwiches.  I thought I’d do a tutorial on them, since they are a popular offering:

you can start with Pillsbury Itaian/French bread in a can (spread out onto
greased cookie sheets),but I had a new
dough recipe I wanted to try.  And of course, I always make 2 'cause
it's just as much work to make 1 as to make 2 (the anal Debbie method
in action!!)

next a layer of mustard down the middle 3rd (any kind you want...I used
some honey mustard as well as Dijon)

then I heap on the thinly sliced (pratically shaved) corned beef

next goes the well-drained sauerkraut...and by well drained I mean 'put
it in my salad spinner and give it several strong whirls'

next, slather on the 1000 island dressing

a yummy layer of swiss cheese

next, slice the sides and braid over the top

the final touch.....caraway seeds!

I covered with plastic wrap and they rose all day in the fridge

one of the reasons I love to make this is that it can be (and should
be) made well ahead, then it rises for 6 - 9 hours in the fridge





























 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After I was done we headed over to the accountant’s to drop off our taxes, then the bank and then home.  I got all of the plates/napkins/silverware set up for the party before it was time to leave for a routine appointment at the heart doctor for Michael.  He had a monitor on last week to check out things and the doctor gave him a clean bill of health, although he does want him to have another stress test (Michael’s last one was 3 years ago).  When we got home, there was just enough time to take showers and get ready for our guests:

Tony & Linda

new friends Lois & Richard

old friends that we haven't seen in AGES....Nancy & Chuck
 
Of course I started to take pictures, then got distracted so I didn’t get everyone, but they all seemed to have a good time and there was plenty of potluck food to choose from

hot from the oven.....YUM!!


before we all left to see WELCOME TO MITFORD at the Fort Mill Theatre.  Although the play was good, there were WAY too many scenery changes that some of us felt could have been done with just changing the lighting.  Regardless, we had a good time and were home by 10:30.

***********************************

Saturday (3/22) Michael left early for golf  (he really didn’t keep score as he was practicing several new things he learned during his lesson on Thursday) and I headed to the Lake House to sort food, as our food drive ended on Friday.  I picked up Nancy A afterwards and we got to talk all the way to the bank and back (I had deposits from the food drive) all about ME BEFORE YOU, the book I HIGHLY recommended.  As a matter of fact, Paula came for a visit on Saturday as well, just to talk about the book (she finished it that morning) and I was SO GLAD to finally be able to talk about it J…have you guys read it yet!?!??!

Jan and Donna both came for visits (and that was terrific) and I managed to get Jan to stay for lunch, and served her a piece of ruebenwich (yum!)  Michael came home from golfing and we got cleaned up and picked up Gale & Phil and headed off to 521 BBQ…it was heavenly…I got a pulled pork sandwich, Gale & Phil both got pork chops and Michael got the ribs.  He let me taste the ribs and Gale & I both think we will order them next time J.  We headed back to their house and spent a pleasant hour drinking out on their back deck, then it was home to popcorn and the movie WAIT UNTIL DARK.  This will be the November play at Fort Mill and we partially watched it so that Michael could see if there were any parts he could play.  I started a new baby sweater and we finally fell into bed at 11.

2 comments:

  1. We have a busy - yet WONDERFUL life --Together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the reuben looks incredible! I'm going to have to try it with turkey. thanks for posting the tutorial! mj in ct.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.