Thursday, June 16, 2011

We finally got a break in the weather.  When Michael and I came home from the movies Tuesday night (6/15) we opened up the house.  By the time we got up in the morning, the temperature had dropped to 74 (whoo, hoo)!!!!  Since it was so cool for a change, I decided to do some hot kitchen stuff.  I had been reading up in my book of stocks awhile ago and they talked about a ‘found’ stock or free stock.  Basically what you do is save all of the vegetable peelings and onion skins and leftover bits you cut off before you chop up any fresh vegetable.  I had 3 gallon bags in the freezer and I got them all out, covered them with water….added in the few garlic cloves I had left in the pantry and brought it to a boil.  I then simmered it for 1-1/2 hours and ended up with 4 quarts of vegetable stock.  I also made the ‘pudding mix’ again for the chocolate ice cream.  I’d like to make the ice cream tomorrow morning and then put it in the freezer to see the texture after it is frozen.  While stuff was ‘cooking or cooling’ I got everything in our front flower beds watered, and also the boxes on our back deck.  By the time I got everything cleaned up, it was 11:30 and I headed downstairs.  I spent an hour clearing out and straightening up my desk, and then got busy warping up a new shawl.  I have black mohair with just a glint of silver in it.  Jan expressed an interest in taking it on her cruise and I certainly approve of that….good advertising in case someone wants to buy it.  She is leaving a week from this Friday, so I need to get cracking if I hope to have the shawl done by then.  Michael came home from golfing (an 87 today on a course he never saw before!) and went out to pick our daily allotment of blueberries (about 3/4 of a cup today) and Chloe pulled a new one…she started eating the blueberries right off the bush!!!   She’s always been a tomato hound, but now blueberries?!?!  He helped me to wind my warp on the back beam and I spent another 2 hours getting it tied to the front beam.  We had crab salad for dinner and I spent the rest of the evening weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.