Monday, September 7, 2015

Ethel's label, Michael's original quilt



Michael left at 8 AM for golf here at SCCL on Saturday (9/5) and I got busy in the studio.  Scrap Happy Quilters is having a one day retreat, and it will be right after I get back from Connecticut…so I want to have everything cut and ready before I go, and that’s what I spent my morning on.  June and I are hoping to do the same pattern at retreat, which I’m hoping to use as another top for Clinton School.  It’s called a DISAPPEARING HOURGLASS and it looks really cool.  I spent the afternoon working on a label for Ethel’s quilt 

 and getting the binding made and attached.  I was finally done by dinner, and Michael and I took a little ride in the golf cart to drop off and pick up some things.  We had leftover crab salad for dinner and I was tired and lazy and sat like a lump on the couch for the rest of the evening.

*************

Michael took the dog for a walk on Sunday (9/6), then we had breakfast on the deck.  It was a beautiful breezy day.  After that, I had a real challenge in front of me.  Remember the blooming 9 patch quilt I started for Michael at retreat last year?  The one that I made 5 major mistakes on (here’s a link to the story if you never read it: http://foodandfiberfloozie.blogspot.com/2014/12/michaels-quilt-elsie-cookie.html).  Anyway, today was the day it got dragged out of the UFO closet (yet again) to be completed.  I was going to put together whatever I could and sew it up into a quilt.  If it was smaller than a Sterling School quilt, then it could become one of my Clinton School quilts.  I’ve tried to work on it several times before, but never got very far.  Well…it took me the entire day (and involved lots of ripping and re-sewing), but I was determined to keep at it and get it to be as large as I could.  It made my brain crazy to keep figuring out what kinds of blocks I still needed for all of the rows….when I got to the middle rows that have about 25 blocks…I started out with only 8 of the middle ones.  By 8 PM (when I quit), I had all of the blocks I needed re-made, and sewn into rows…and I only had to use 4 squares of a fabric that wasn't original to the pattern.  














It is the original size…I was SO PLEASED  :~).  After that, Michael and I had a popcorn filled evening, watching a NORTERN EXPOSURE and 2 of our shows before bed.


1 comment:

  1. Wow - it is still beautiful ! Good job on getting a UFO out of the closet... I like the little pops of orange color.... mjnct

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.