Monday, September 29, 2014

new blocks, Elsie & Cookie, pizza!, 40 new blocks, Miss Scarlet sewing apron


Finally….we saw this big, yellow orb on Saturday morning (9/27)…it’s been so long since we’ve seen it that it took a few moments to identify it as the sun!  Michael was happy to leave early for golf at SCCL, and I settled into the studio to sew.  What a difference a jelly roll and a simple block design makes….on retreat I was working on 9 patches that were 3-3/4 inches finished…and I started with big pieces of fabric.  That pattern is taking FOREVER!!!  Saturday morning I started with a jelly roll and a simple block design…within 25 minutes I had 4 blocks done! 
 
 
Janice completed a quilt top in this pattern at retreat…I am liking it so much I may take some of my scrap 2-1/2 inch strips and make another one.

Jan came over around 11 and we loaded up the back for Walt’s green quilt on Miss Scarlet.  Jan's batting was in a bag, so we stretched it out on the pool table to relax for a day or 2, and she picked out the leaf pattern that she wants on the quilt.  Shortly after Jan left my honey got home with an 89 for his score.  I am surprised he did that well after golfing so late the previous day.  He decided to retire to the deck to ‘read’ for a bit (more napping than reading I think) and Janice and I SKYPED for an hour (since we missed our regular Wednesday night).  Then it was back to my jelly roll blocks.  Even with all of the visiting I did, by dinnertime all 40 blocks were done…INCREDIBLE!!! 

Michael had a little company when he took his shower in the late afternoon (this is the closest they've been since last winter):
 
We had pizza’s again for dinner (I just LOVE these new, quick pizzas)
before baking....

and after...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



and then we settled in with popcorn to watch STAR TREK IV:THE VOYAGE HOME.  It was a great evening.
***********************************
We had breakfast on the deck Sunday morning (9/28) and relaxed and read the paper for a bit.  I finally told myself I was procrastinating and headed to the studio to finish loading up Jan’s quilt.  I spent an hour and felt that everything was perfect.  I got the left side and the top basted, then turned on computer program.  What a surprise….NOT….program not working  :~(.  My screen says the machine is unable to connect with the program.  I turn off, unplug and re-plug in everything several times…same result.  I say a bad word and go back to organizing sewing room.  Michael got all of my blocks laid out on the design wall, and I love them, but the dimensions are too small. 
 
I am going to order some type of rainbow fabric to make the quilt top more of a single bed size.  I spent the rest of the day and early evening making a sewing apron for Miss Scarlet. 
 
Then it was snuggling on the couch with my honey and watching TV.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Ms. Scarlet is still having issues !!! I think that would have been the last straw for me... I'm glad Jan is so close to getting that quilt done. Can't wait to see photos of it !

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.