Tuesday, September 2, 2014

mile-a-minute scraps


LABOR DAY - Michael left at 8 on Monday (9/1) for golfing at Lancaster, but we unmolded the soap before he left.  When we poured it into the molds yesterday I noticed a layer of oil on top…it was still there today and all around the log :- (.  I got online, and read about re-batching the soap, so I chopped up the first log, put it into the crockpot (luckily I had some leftover crockpot liners) and left it cooking away on the counter while I headed to the studio. 

I have a large plastic table that hooks to my sewing machine to increase the size of the bed I have to sew on.  While I am working on a project, I constantly toss leftover bits of fabric under there until I get a chance to deal with them.  All of my tumbling blocks leftover triangle pieces were under there, as well as secret project stuff…it was quite a mess.  On retreat we may do a bit of work on mile-a-minute quilts (http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/2008/06/mile-minute-quilt.html) and I decided to get a start by sewing all of the scraps under that table together.  I got quite a good start and spent the better part of an hour ironing my seams. 
 
Then it was on to loading up Miss Scarlett…that took over an hour, as I was trying to be very careful with the tension on my backing.  I also spent several hours watching videos on YOUTUBE for how to long arm and how to work my particular computer program.  Michael came home DRENCHED (from sweat…it was over 90 out there) with an 88.  While I was watching YOUTUBE, I saw a turtle crawling around on our patio.  When Michael came home, he rescued it…it seemed to be stuck between a plant stand and a pipe.  So, he picked it up and took it back to the woods.  He had a very late and large lunch with the golf guys, so was uninterested in dinner.  I had another pizza…YUM!...and after dinner, finally started to actually quilting another charity quilt.  Although it was not perfect (I need more practice on the computer part), the actual quilting looks great and I didn’t have any pleats in the quilt….so all of that time working on the backing really paid off.  The quilt is only 50” by 62”, but by the time I went to bed….I was exhausted…but it was DONE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.