Monday, September 1, 2014

garden flowers, the long arm is christened, pizza, more dog beds


We had a lovely breakfast out on the deck Saturday morning (8/30) then headed to the garage to make soap.  We are down to our last 2 bars, so even though it was about 90 degrees in the garage, we got it done.  I wasn’t sure I liked how it looked as it went into the molds, but we will have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens.  There seemed to be a bit of oil floating on top…that could have been the scented oil that gets added at the end.  After that we took a large board down to Joanne & Larry’s and Larry cut a strip off for me while Joanne and I visited on their deck.  When the guys were done, Michael enjoyed a latte made especially for him by Joanne and we visited for a bit longer before heading for home. 

So, several months ago someone at Stitch & Chat had a really pretty variegated yarn they were working on…I noticed it and liked it, but didn’t pay much attention since I didn’t need yarn for anything.  Fast forward several months and I see a pattern for myself that I think I would really like to do…and I think I want to do it out of that yarn.  I remembered being surprised about the company that made the yarn…so I’m thinking it is a LION Brand yarn, because I definitely would be a bit surprised that they had a yarn I liked (other than baby yarn).  Yes, I know, I am a yarn snob….but I worked in a high end yarn shop for 6 or 8 years…so you’ll just have to forgive me :- ).  I go on the Lion Brand website, but can’t find anything under variegated….so I call them.  When the woman answers, I say “I am one of those crazy customers that call you with no information to find a specific yarn.”  I tell her about seeing the variegated yarn a couple of months ago…I tell her that I think it is a relatively new yarn.  She asks me how thick the yarn was and I say “I’m fairly sure it was worsted weight and the name might have started with “C”’ .  She looks for a bit and I say ‘and it might have had the slightest bit of fuzz’….once I say that, she says ‘AMAZING’ and I shout ‘THAT’S IT!!!!’  They sell AMAZING at both Joann’s and Michael’s, so I will have to make a visit soon  :- ).

I headed to the studio, got my serger re-threaded and was back to working on the secret project for the afternoon.  When this last step is done….the secret project will be done….YAY!!!!!!  For pictures you will just have to wait a bit longer :- ).  At 5 PM we picked up Anne & Bryce and headed out to dinner.  A&B wanted to take us out for a long time and our schedules finally coincided.  We went to BONEFISH…and saw 3 other groups there from SCCL…must be THE place to eat!  Our dinner was wonderful…Michael and Anne and Bryce split an appetizer of coconut shrimp, Michael and I split a Caesar Salad, and then I had stuffed tilapia, Michael and Anne had salmon and Bryce had sea bass…the food was incredible and I can’t believe the guys had room for dessert….one key lime pie and one coconut pie with dark rum sauce.  When we got home, we went over to Anne & Bryce’s for a bit of wine and a lot of conversation.  By the time we got home, we were just lumps on the couch until bed.

 ********************************

Michael took the dog for a walk early Sunday morning (8/31), then cut 2 bouquets of flowers for us and Anne & Bryce. 
YAY - a few more hydrangeas are appearing
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I spent a bit of time in the studio until he came back, sewing and watching the US OPEN.  When I worked at Travelers, I always used to get tickets to the Open for the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.  Travelers always had a bus trip and it was awesome.  I have still not given up the dream of playing tennis again…right now my knees (and to be totally honest my weight) are prohibiting that…but I’m actively working on it and I have a goal of when I want to try again.  Watching the Open really revs me up for that goal.  I may have to give up my dream of playing singles…but I have several friends who play doubles and I’m sure they’d give me some pointers.  Jan stopped by for a visit while I was sewing, so we got to have a good chat.

HOORAY…HOORAYHOORAY!!!!  As of 4 PM today (Sunday) the secret project is DONE!!!  You’ll have to stay tuned for a bit to see pics….

And by 5 PM I had another thing crossed off my list….my long arm will no longer be referred to as ‘my long arm’….instead, she has an official name (thanks to my friend Cathy L):
Yes, this is now hanging from the side of the frame...
 
Cathy had 3 great reasons that this should be the name…(1) it’s a perfect southern name, (2) Miss Scarlett is very temperamental and (3) that’s probably the color my face has been through all of the things that went wrong.  I think it is perfect….so from now on…Miss Scarlet it is :- ).  Cathy will win a set of fabric coasters for coming up with the name!  By then it was dinner time, and I got a chance to try out these flatbreads I bought.  I thought it would be nice once in awhile to be able to make pizza, without making homemade dough first, so we used 2 flatbreads for one pesto/tomato (from our garden)/red onion pizza and one red sauce/mushroom/spinach pizza…here they are before and after baking.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

They were TERRIFIC…and such a breeze to make…I think making my own pizza dough may be a thing of the past….
I headed back to the studio for just an hour after dinner, and I worked on cleaning up my sewing area since I have completed 2 projects, then headed upstairs for TV.  I worked on tying in the threads on the serged dog beds, and they were all done by bedtime:

8 new dog beds for the shelter in Lancaster







1 comment:

  1. How lovely to see Miss Scarlett behaving herself! I love the name plaque - very classy! Lots of fun news in this edition of your blog... What is the brand of flat bread you liked to make pizza? I've been buying crust myself to save time on pizza making, and I'd be up for trying other brands. (I use the Boboli thin crust, cut in quarters.) Last - didn't you say you recently finished the book, Delicious!? I loved it too - rated a "4" on my 1-4 scale (a rare mark). I wonder if you tried to make the famous gingerbread....

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.