Saturday, July 21, 2012

tomato processing


Well – the thunder rolled in Wednesday afternoon (7/18) and Jan and Walt and I thought that being outside wasn’t the smartest place to be for dinner…so we headed to the Mexican restaurant instead.   Oh, my goodness…it has been SO LONG since I had Mexican food…and it was HEAVENLY!!!!  I even got to bring home a bit and had it for dinner on Thursday as well!  Thursday morning (7/19) I headed off to quilting after picking up Nancy.  I think I am finally finished making the 300 and some 1/2 square triangles, so I finally started to sew them together into blocks.  It will probably take me many more weeks to get the blocks finished…then I’ll give them to Michael to arrange into a charity quilt. One of the ladies at quilting (Loree) has a large garden and brought in a bunch of produce for any who wanted to take it home.  I told her I was waiting until the end, and then I was going to grab any remaining tomatoes.  She said she was ready to rip up her TWENTY_FIVE tomato plants because she was tired of picking – processing-canning-resting, over and over and over again.  I told her I’d love to have any extras she had.  Well, once I got home she called me to ask if I really did want more tomatoes…she and Reg (her hubby) swung by my house and dropped of a peck of tomatoes, some squash and 2 LARGE cantaloupes…what a great haul.  When I went to bed Thursday night, I was still trying to decide how I was going to process those tomatoes, but by the time I woke up, I knew.  I certainly felt like ‘becky-homecky’ on Friday morning.  This is what I started with:


I cored and mostly seeded the tomatoes over a sieve, so that I could save the tomato juice:


 and then I halved or quartered them placed them on a greased cookie sheet (I don't know why this picture is so blurry....I wish it had shown that way when I took it so that I could have taken another one....oh well...you get the idea!):



I mixed up some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tiny bit of sugar, salt and 5 large cloves of garlic that I had hoped to drizzle over the tomatoes.  Well, for some reason, the consistency was like toothpaste….so I kind of dabbed on with a brush instead:



I roasted each sheet at 450 degrees for 30 minutes (until they got a little carmelization), then started to put them into baggies for freezing.  After I had a couple filled, I thought better of it and ran downstairs to write BG and ask her opinion…we both agreed that they should be whirled up before being frozen, so I got out my stick blender and went to work.  After tasting, I added a couple of gobs of the olive oil/balsamic mixture…..OMG…..I can hardly wait to eat this sauce!!!  This was the final result, 4 quarts of sauce and a quart of juice (for winter soups)…AND all of the ‘waste’ got buried in my garden to enrich the soil:
This took 3-1/2 hours to complete and clean up from, then Donna came over for a bit of help on her sweater.  She left about an hour later and I cleaned the house and myself and settled down to wait for Michael to get home.  They got caught in Charlotte traffic and he didn’t make it until 7 PM.  We popped the champagne and collapsed on the couch for some TV watching and snuggling!

2 comments:

  1. Catherine LombardozziJuly 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

    Mmm.... that looks and sounds incredibly yummy!! Do you just know the right proportions, or do you have some kind of guide that serves as a foundation for figuring out how much oil, vinegar, and garlic for x number of tomatoes. Is it a thick sauce or a relatively thin one? Maybe I should make me some... I bet it's a completely different flavor from my spagetti sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up with 4 quart bags of sauce and almost ALL of the oil mixture was stirred into the sacue at the end...that's how I'll do it next time...I won't even try to 'baste' the tomatoes....for the 4 quarts of sauce I used about 1 c of olive oil, 1/3 c balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt (I think it could have used more salt, but I under salt things...usually don't cook with it at all and let people salt at table) and 5 medium to large cloves of garlic...I had a little leftover sauce I put in fridge with end of olive oil stuff..and the stuff seesm to settle out..but I will stir back in when I make pizza on wed....I LOVE balsmaic vinegar....I think I could have just eaten that mixture on bread!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.