Friday, March 9, 2012

Paint Can Challenge

Michael’s tee off time Wednesday (3/7) wasn’t until after 11, so we got to take a walk in the morning.  He had an uneven day.  In the first 9 holes me managed to find 3 sand traps and get 7’s on 3 holes for a grand totally of 50!!!  The back 9, he made a scorching 39.

I spent the day getting my ‘flowers’ to bloom.  I know I’ve been talking about the Paint Can Challenge for months now….so you’ll be happy to know that my quilt is finally finished!  In the beginning, we were given a paint can with 1/3 yard of green fabric, and 3 paint chips.  Here are my chips: 

We had to use a recognizable piece of the green fabric, as well as fabric that was the same as at least 2 of the paint chips.  And the entire piece had to measure 40" by 60" or 50" by 50".  I really didn’t like the brown color, and figured that I’d end up with just a baby quilt with the pink and blue chips that I got.  I changed my mind 6 times as to what I was going to do, and finally settled on a 3 dimensional flower technique I had wanted to try.  I think it turned out even prettier than I had imagined….I spent several hours Wednesday afternoon blooming all of my flowers (you make the 3-D flowers but leave them folded flat until they are all sewn together in quilt).  I loved watching each one come to life.  Here’s the wall hanging with all flowers flat: 

Then here are a couple of flowers, with the petals blooming one at a time, since that's the way I had to unfold them:




I think this next one is my favorite fabric, it shades from pink, into deep fuchsia, with yellow accents and then to orange (lots of color bang for your buck!):





Finally, the entire garden was in bloom and when Michael came home from golf, he helped me to stand it up against the wall for a final picture:
I really love it and I am REALLY GLAD that it is finally finished!  We hope to hang it in the bedroom…even though it is far too big for the space.

1 comment:

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.