Saturday, March 28, 2020

Retreat with Paula - day 2


UNPRESEDENTED – That word is certainly being used a lot lately….but with good reason.  As of Thursday, the US leads the world in the most number of confirmed cases of COVID-19.  On Thursday, the US saw an increase of more than 15,000 cases in one day -- a shocking surge that can be explained by both the spread of the virus and increased testing after weeks of shortages -- pushing the total number of confirmed cases over 82,000. China, in comparison, has reported 81,285 cases.  

There is a fundamental difference between China and the US. China has broken the spread of the virus with a lockdown that first started in Wuhan on January 23 and is now being lifted in stages; only a few dozen new cases are allegedly confirmed each day, and most of these are apparently introduced from abroad. The US has not broken the epidemic. And if guidelines to stay at home are lifted by Easter (as has been proposed….being in effect for only weeks instead of months), we will fail to stop the epidemic and millions more will be infected. Even with active control, we might be facing around 81,000 deaths by July according to a new detailed analysis from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington in Seattle. (To read the full text of this article, here is the link: 

I received emails with 2 interesting videos that helped me to understand 

that even though I am home a LOT, I should still be washing my hands, as 

the virus can be introduced to, and live on in your home in a number of 


and updates from Dr.  Fauci:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3jiM2FNR8

I am posting these hoping to help people.  At this point in time I do not believe that the federal government is giving out the best information on what should be done, since our leader is still somewhat convinced it will go away, and/or a few weeks of distancing and some malaria drugs (which have killed one person) will suffice to end the pandemic.  When our quilt group was disbanded a few weeks ago, at that time I said to Paula ‘‘maybe by late summer we’ll be back together”.  I certainly think that is a more realistic timeframe than ‘Easter’.  Confirmed cases of COVID-19 are still on the increase in this country; we have not seen the worst of it yet.

****************************

Friday morning (3/27) was my 3rd day of bike riding.  And even though my ride is less than 20 minutes (for now), my derriere is the sorest part of my body and the hardest part to toughen up  :~).  

Michael left for golf at the same time I did for my bike ride, and when I got home I took a shower, got my blog out, read some of my emails and got ready for Paula to arrive.  We had the second day of our mini-retreat….and quite truthfully…it was wonderful:  



Cookie continued to try out different chairs in the kitchen




Paula even provided lunch....cauliflower rice with cheese and yummy tasting ham

I love this new pattern and hope to do it eventually

Paula packed up and headed home right around the time that Michael came home at 2 PM.  He scored an 89, but said he had a good time with the guys.  After much discussion and thought, he has decided to confine his golfing to our home course, where he has NO physical contact with anyone for paying for golf or carts or anything like that.  

After that I did a lot of research on the current info available on the virus, before getting the second border on my first men’s quilt:  

this is ready for quilting now

Michael made a crab cake with mac ‘n’ cheese for his dinner, and I don’t remember what I had before heading back to the studio.  I finished blocks at Scrap Happy months ago that have been lying on the back of the sofa, and I finally got some of them put together: 



before collapsing in front of the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.