Monday, November 25, 2013


Michael had a very late tee time on Saturday (11/23) so didn’t get home until 3 PM.  I knit for most of the day, except for a short visit from Jan to joyfully show off her completed patriotic lap robe, and taking time out to make butter bun dough for dinner.  We both got cleaned up and left at 5 for dinner with Lisa and Dean.  And what a fabulous dinner it was…a standing rib roast, both white and sweet potatoes, salad, green beans and the afore mentioned buns.  She made blackberry bars for dessert and everything was just wonderful.  We played PASSWORD after dinner and it was a hoot!  Their home was also a real treat for me…quilts EVERYWHERE!!!  We were both sad to leave at the end of the night.

Sunday morning (11/24)  we were up early and left before 9 for our zip line adventure in Rock Hill.  Now we’ve been zip lining at least 4 times before, so I didn’t think anything of it.  Even though it was a freezing cold day, we dressed warmly and were mostly all right except for our frozen fingers.  To start off zip lining, you climb a high tower…which I correctly (and totally luckily guessed) was 105 steps up.  Michael went across first, and I was next.  I cannot tell you how frightened I was when I looked down at the ground, which was FAR FAR away!  I was sitting on the egde of the tower, ready to drop off and all I wanted to do was to tell the guy to unhook me and let me walk back down.  It was just sheer force of will that got me to go off of that tower.  I never thought I had a fear of heights, but I guess I do a tiny bit because I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest, it was beating so hard and so loud.  There were 3,472 feet of zip lines and I think I was nervous on most of them.  As we got lower and lower, most of the nervousness came from the fact that I was having a hard time using my right hand on the line to slow down as I came to the next platform.  I have no idea what that was all about, luckily I only slammed my knee on one platform.  There were 9 of us doing it and they were all a great bunch of people.  About 1/2 way through I got so warm that I wanted to take my coat off, but knew I wouldn’t be able to carry it and zip along at the same time.  One of the guys in the group was freezing, so he wore my jacket the rest of the way…win, win!  We got home after 1 PM and both of us just sat in the living room, with the fire on and ice on our knees (Michael also slammed one of his knees into a tree).  We were both just beat!!!  We finally roused ourselves and headed over to Susan’s for dinner (I brought soup and cornbread, she made a fruit salad and Evelyn and Phil brought ginger cookies) and to play FARKLE.  FARKLE is a new dice game that Susan learned to play and she wanted to teach us.  We modified the rules just a bit and had a great time.  We came home around 9 and watched TV for just a bit before heading for bed.

1 comment:

  1. That zip lining sounds amazing!!! I think it's going on my bucket list. And is Jan's lap quilt the one she was trying so hard to finish for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.